How many people have had the airbag warning light activate | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people have had the airbag warning light activate

Have you had the airbag warning light activate?

• No - my airbag light has never activated

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and it has been fixed for more than 6 months

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and it has been fixed for less than 6 months

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and the problem was not fixed. It has come back on again.

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Yes - I have not taken it to be fixed.

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Yes - I fixed it myself.

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
Good luck. Had mine cleaned and replaced in 2015 only to fail again earlier this year. My mechanic told my his FIL has Exploder as well with multiple latch replacements as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 Explorer base 3.5L.
Previous vehicles; 1983 Capri, 1992 Aerostar AWD, 1998 Club Wagon XLT E350, 2001 Honda Odyssey, 2015 Transit XLT 350.

My Explorer Airbag light came on at 68K 2014; testing, inspected c210 c211 connectors and repaired for $405 (labor and with dielectric grease). I was told not in warranty. 2015 SRS light came on. Diagnosis was bad pin fit to dash harness. Fixed for only $267. Next episode was 2017 when wire to the drivers seat was "open". Repaired for $120. Lead up to 2019 Airbag light on. It went on earlier in this round of failures, but went on and off periodically; repair is for a new seat belt tensioner and multiple codes for dash and driver seat harness which will be repaired with dielectric grease and full check of the whole line. Cost now is $1,102. Sad state of affairs for Ford standing behind a known defect in their wiring harness for airbags and potential non-function of a federally mandated safety system. I was surprised by the low number of NHTSA complaints for airbags considering the significant number of complaints on this and other forums.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The warranty on the Safety Restraint System is 5 years, 60k miles. Unfortunately, you were over the mileage part.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The warranty on the Safety Restraint System is 5 years, 60k miles. Unfortunately, you were over the mileage part.

Peter
Peter,

Thank you for response. I knew my mileage was too high; just disappointed by the chronic repairs. I also hoped that posting my headaches will encourage other similar 5th gen Explorer owners to register complaint with NHTA. Ford makes corporate decisions based on numbers and right now SRS official complaints must not have reached the critical response level. The Forum is great with many suggestions on repairs and solutions. I will be trying the suggested tips on future SRS issues.

ZMAN

My ex is in the shop, again...
Went for an oil change and they found a few thing: front wheel bearing (was hearing it coming...), rear bushing and THAT air bag light, again (3rd visit for it!!!)
First they saw it was touch/fix in the pass and they change the plug, again.
They did not really did a nice job, wires were dangling out from under the seat!?!? so ask them to tidy it up. (which they did, second visit)
Now a month ago notice the light coming back up... Knowing an oil change was coming, waited until then, guest what, the wire broke... They are rewiring it up, again... Since it is a rework, it is covered.

Thanks to my extended warranty, bearing and bushing will only be 100$!

Wow, 3rd replacement and bearings? How many miles? Only 1 bearing at about 137k for me.

Wow, 3rd replacement and bearings? How many miles? Only 1 bearing at about 137k for me.
68900 pretty early but luckily-ish I took extended warranty, so fixing bearing only cost 100$. (Wonder how much it would of been so I can deduct from warranty cost and see if I will break even on its cost?).

Yes, 3rd, but I think they did not do a good job first time, tried to fix but made it worst (or the damage was already done).
Never been charge and got those looked at while other service was done, so I think it is not too annoying.

My guy changed me like 250 for the bearing installed, I think

I have a 2017 Explorer sport with 56,000 miles. So I had a fun experience with Ford today. My airbag light came on the other day. My vehicle is outside the 3yr/36,000 bumper to bumper. I took it in to Ford because it's supposed to have a 5yr/60,000 warranty on safety restraint system. The diagnosed it as a possible loose connection on the passenger rear seat inflator. They wiggled the wires and the light went off. Shouldn't this be covered under warranty? Like I said to the tech, if the airbags will not deploy and they are still under warranty how does that work? Basically the answer I got was unless they can trace it down to a failed component that it is not warrantied but they would be more than happy to keep looking all day at my expense of course. I decided to call for customer service and got to speak with a nice lady with a heavy Indian accent whom I couldn't understand and I hung up on her. Luckily it only cost me $114 to get it scanned. Any help would be appreciated

15656294727092021080465.jpg

They are saying diagnostic test not covered.... since it doesn't have the same light on, they claim there is no issue. ...... not saying thats right. Seems a bit hefty.

I have a 2017 Explorer sport with 56,000 miles. So I had a fun experience with Ford today. My airbag light came on the other day. My vehicle is outside the 3yr/36,000 bumper to bumper. I took it in to Ford because it's supposed to have a 5yr/60,000 warranty on safety restraint system. The diagnosed it as a possible loose connection on the passenger rear seat inflator. They wiggled the wires and the light went off. Shouldn't this be covered under warranty? Like I said to the tech, if the airbags will not deploy and they are still under warranty how does that work? Basically the answer I got was unless they can trace it down to a failed component that it is not warrantied but they would be more than happy to keep looking all day at my expense of course. I decided to call for customer service and got to speak with a nice lady with a heavy Indian accent whom I couldn't understand and I hung up on her. Luckily it only cost me $114 to get it scanned. Any help would be appreciated

View attachment 172734
I'd try calling again... Or go talk to another dealer?
Sound like the similar issue I had/have, yes the light turn on again... Connector or wiring get damage by the seats on 2nd row.
But, in my case, they changed the connector under original warranty with previous owner. They said they were convering it. Been 2 time and going for a third. Will remain calm but it start to annoy me.

Early this week, the Explorer started showing signs of a failing battery. It was 3.5 years old, so I just figured it was time for a new one. I put in the new one, and everything has been fine on that front. The next day, the airbag light was on, and it has been on since.

I checked the codes with my OBDII scanner, and there are no codes. I read some info suggesting that a failing battery can also trigger the light. The new battery is charging at 13.8V and is 12.7V with the engine off. I checked under the seats to see if any of the connectors looked broken, but I don’t see anything.

I’m baffled.

^^ Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature. There are a few more threads on the airbag light/seatbelt waring.
Many have traced it back to a faulty connection under the driver's seat. The battery replacement may have been a coincidence.
Did you reset the BMS (Battery Management System)? Page 373 &374 in the Owner's Manual. Battery Replacement / Upgrade - Battery Re-Learn

Peter

Thanks, Peter.

I initially used OBD Fusion to check for codes. I then bought the FORScan app, and it revealed the code “B1213 - Passenger Seatbelt Buckle Pretensioner Deployment Control”

That led me to the TSB. I had trouble finding a clear description of the location of the connectors (C210, C211, C310A) to add the grease to, and it didn’t look like it’s been a successful fix for most people.

The next thing I tried was to test the pretensioner. Both sides read 36 milliohms.

I vacuumed the car earlier in week close to when the light appeared, and I can’t help but wonder if I bumper a wire under the passenger seat.

I did not reset the BMS. That’s the first I’ve heard of it. I’ll check it out..

Hello everybody, new on the forum. I bought my 2016 Ford Explorer Sport with almost 55k miles. Days ago, I realized that the airbag light was on. This is something that doesn’t happens all the time, it has been three days that is of in the morning an then in the afternoon the light is back on. Could someone help me fixing this issue?

Welcome to the Forum Claudia.:wave:
Your thread was moved here. In many cases the intermittent light or warning is caused by the wiring connector under the driver's seat.

Peter

Hello everybody, new on the forum. I bought my 2016 Ford Explorer Sport with almost 55k miles. Days ago, I realized that the airbag light was on. This is something that doesn’t happens all the time, it has been three days that is of in the morning an then in the afternoon the light is back on. Could someone help me fixing this issue?

There are few possible sources of the airbag light. Doing the scan is always best to figure out where it is coming from.

If scan isn't easily available, there are few quick diagnosis items you can try:
  • flip up and down the rear seats. Does the light go on/off while they are in up position? If so, carefully disconnect/connect these brackets, and vacuum or knock dust out.
  • do you have rear seatbelt airbags? search specifically for these in forums

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Will, are you talking about the second row seat or third row?

Back