• Register Today It's free!

How much ATF do I need?

Mtn8er

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Mountaineer 5.0
Can someone tell me approximately how much ATF I would need to do a complete tranny flush...including dropping the pan to put in a new filter and shift kit? I've heard different things from different people (anywhere from 12-17 quarts) and want to buy my Amsoil ATF before my Amsoil preferred customer account expires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's impossible to flush out the entire system without disassembling the transmission. I think you would only need a few quarts. Do you have an external transmission filter, and extra cooler? That would take a little more fluid. A deep 4X4 pan uses more fluid than a regular pan. They also sell an extra deep aftermarket pan which uses about 3 quarts.

It's impossible to flush out the entire system without disassembling the transmission. I think you would only need a few quarts. Do you have an external transmission filter, and extra cooler? That would take a little more fluid. A deep 4X4 pan uses more fluid than a regular pan. They also sell an extra deep aftermarket pan which uses about 3 quarts.

No external transmission filter but it has the tranny cooler up front by the radiator. You think 16 quarts should be enough?

When I do a complete tranny flush, I use 17 quarts of Amsoil ATF plus one more for the filter. I do not do pan drops. I do have an external filter.

When I do a complete tranny flush, I use 17 quarts of Amsoil ATF plus one more for the filter. I do not do pan drops. I do have an external filter.

So you use a total of 18? Well if I'm going to be dropping the pan to replace the filter and install a valve body shift kit PLUS do the complete full system flush, how many quarts do you think I should buy just to be safe?

What's the best way to do all this? First drop the pan and do the filter/shift kit then put the pan back on, fill it back up then do the flush? Or could I still do the flush when the pan isn't filled?

The internal filter is the primary filter. The external filter is only a secondary filter. The internal filter catches a lot of stuff, and should be replaced at regular intervals. The external filter doesn't always have to be replaced at regular intervals, but is a good idea to replace at the same time as the internal one.

Mike, did you see AlDive's sticky about flushing a transmission? Here is the link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77507 As for the flush. Drop the pan, drain the fluid, do the shift kit, replace the filter, put the pan back on, fill with ATF, drive it a little bit, then if it feels OK do the flush.

The internal filter is the primary filter. The external filter is only a secondary filter. The internal filter catches a lot of stuff, and should be replaced at regular intervals. The external filter doesn't always have to be replaced at regular intervals, but is a good idea to replace at the same time as the internal one.

I have never seen anything on the internal filter, therefore I no longer change it. I change the external filter about every year ( and I have never seen anything on it upon disection ).

Have you considered using a computer flash to improve the shifts rather than a hardware fix?

Have you considered using a computer flash to improve the shifts rather than a hardware fix?

Yeah, right now I actually have a custom torque 92 octane tune from Doug at BamaChips using my XCAL II. It did firm the shifts up a little but it's hardly noticeable sometimes.

Mike, did you see AlDive's sticky about flushing a transmission? Here is the link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77507 As for the flush. Drop the pan, drain the fluid, do the shift kit, replace the filter, put the pan back on, fill with ATF, drive it a little bit, then if it feels OK do the flush.

Yeah I saw that, thanks though. So if I'm going to be dropping the pan plus doing a flush then what am I looking at, maybe 20 quarts of ATF?

Are you going to do the "J-mod"?

You should be able to drain the torque converter-drop pan, do valve body work, and refill on 13-14 quarts.
Look for the inspection plug on the bell housing
When it is removed, you can see the torque converter-slowly rotate engine until the drain plug is facing down.

You will have to refill in increments--

Are you going to do the "J-mod"?

You should be able to drain the torque converter-drop pan, do valve body work, and refill on 13-14 quarts.
Look for the inspection plug on the bell housing
When it is removed, you can see the torque converter-slowly rotate engine until the drain plug is facing down.

You will have to refill in increments--

No "J-mod", I was going to get the Baumann valve body shift kit...I'll probably do the stage 3. Well I think I'm just going to buy 20 quarts that way I have some extra "just to have."

Back