How much freeplay in driveline/diff/axles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much freeplay in driveline/diff/axles?

cougarmt

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer Eddie Bauer
While under my 92 EB, I found that there is a noticeable amount of slack between the driveline turning, and the diff/axles engaging. I can rotate the driveline about 1/2 inch (guessing here...) before it engages the diff/axles. Likewise, I raised the backend, and rotated each wheel by hand; found I can move them a couple inches before the axle engages the driveline.
I also noticed slightly less play in the front driveline.
How much freeplay is "reasonable"? And what components should I be looking at/adjusting/replacing? I really don't hear much noise from back there when starting off or stopping. And I haven't put the 4x4 to use since repairing the selector motor....
I did replace both U-Joints on the rear driveline last week.

Thoughts/suggestions ?

Thanks! :p:

1st gen explorers have quite a bit of lash in the drive lines. It's really noticeable with a manual trans; In fact, it takes a little getting used to (IMHO) at first. You haven't filled out your vehicle specs, so I don't know what you have, but since it's an EB I'm assuming it's auto. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts giving you driving problems, it sounds normal.

Thanks Little X. :thumbsup: Yes, auto tranny (just updated my specs...). Won't worry about it until I really start noticing funky thunky sounds/behavior from back there...

Back