How much lift does it take to get 32's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much lift does it take to get 32's

Big Bear Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
I got 1.25" or there about, on my TT Shackle leaf lift. right now I have 31" BFG All Terrain AT/KO's but have been thinnking about going to 32" BFG Mud Terrain in the not too distant future.
So would the Mud Terrains fit and have enough room in the wheel wells to do the job with only 1.25" of lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say NO. I ran 32's with just TT and Shackles and add-a-leafs for a few months. I had to do some minor fender (yes, metal) trimming, and I still rubbed on any slightly aggressive terrain. Thats when I went with a body lift. But all Explorers are different. You could maybe get away with 32s and minor trimming on your X.

Thanks but no trimming.I stay with the 31's and play it safe. We don't get into really hard core off roading, but thre have been times that I thought 32's might be helpful. Sometimes every inch counts.

Thanks for the advice

If you're totally against trimming, stay with the 31's.

3B,
I would say it's debatable either way.... This being because you were able to fit 31" tires before the TT/Shackles were done and if you off-roaded with them (I trust that you have :) you would have noticed any wear or rubbing issues then.... Now you have a bit more clearance and looking to put a 1" taller/ 1" wider tire on? I think you might be able to do it. Best way is to find a cool tire shop that'll put 2 of them on in the front and "test-fit" them. You will probobly rub a bit on the inside at the sway-bars while fully turning the wheel... at least that's how mine are. But I like my highly polished patch on the sway bars now, and put the 32"s on anyway! Just make sure that if you test-fit them, that they are the exact tire you want. Mud terrains seem to be truer to there labeled size than AT's IMHO
ie: 32" AT's may = 31.6" in diameter vrs Mud terrains may = 31.8 or 31.9. Good luck.

Thanks Douglas

I did get a little rubbing durring really heavey flex with the 31s off road, but never had a problem on everyday use. I would want to use the 32 MT's off road and on the snowy icy roads of winter, but can get by with the 31's.

I just read an article how good the new BFG MT's where in snow compared to other tires, even the BFG AT TA/KOs. But on the other hand the AT's are rated as a good snow tire too.

I am dissapointed we only got 1.25" with the TT Shackle lift, but we found out that my leafs are toast so thats explained. So I'm thinking of getting an add a leaf so that we can get the full 2 inches all around, but then according to the salesman at Four Wheel Parts we'll probably be higher by 1/2 to 1.1/2 inches in the back. I really do like the idea to keeping the truck even on all four corners, and do not want to go past the 2 inches on the TT everyone has been warning about so...

Anyway thanks for the response.

Tires for Sale

I may be willing to part with my 33 Xterrains (they say 33 but are more like 31-3/4" or 32s) when the time is right. They are great for all types of road condition. Probably sell them for around $500.00 for 4 of them. Only have less then 2K miles, and are warranted for 40K i think.

Big Bear Bob.. I got over 1 1/2" from add-a-leafs. You should give them a try.

Cool I just got the approval from my wife for the add a leaf and that will give us 2.75 inches in the back, but I think I'll stay at or very near 2 inches in the front. Plus the lift the 31" BFG's give us, it turns out to about that I could go to 2.75 inches in the front, but I'm thinking about keeping it close to 2 or maybe 2.25 in the front shouldn't if that isn't too destructive.

There's a Four Wheel Parts store in Riverside, about 60 miles from here and they said that the single leaf would be $40 for the pair.

Anyway thanks for the response and I'm working o a 4X4 page that I hope to have up and running within the month.

Thanks again
3B

many folks fit the 265/75 r16s on fine with the budget boost, i've seen some do it without. that tire is like 31.8 or something diameter but only about 10.5 wide. i think its the width of the 32x11.5 that causes the problems, not the height. you'd still rub offroad of course, but that isn't a huge deal. i may be wrong but just offering what i have seen. good luck

Thanks for the info, but with 15" rims I'll have to wait. I think in a year or so I'll be doing a 4" lift. It looks like we'll have to change rims, and since the BFG's aren't that old yet. I think I just wait untill I can do both. The 32's look cool, and the off road benefits are obvious. I hate the idea of cutting and or rubbing so...

My Wife is thinking about buying a new car, so she might let me turn this into a real 4X4. If not buya beater to fix up. Something like anearlier Ranger, or I hate to say it, an old Toyota 4x4.

BTW We'll be passing through Gorgia in the fall, on the way to Naple which is in Southern Fla.
Thanks for the response though.

Back