How to disable ignition (cranking only)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to disable ignition (cranking only)?

96ExplorerSport

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 X Sport 4.0L OHV, 4WD
Hi,

I have 96 Explorer Sport 4.0L OHV. What is the proper way to disable ignition in order to prevent engine from starting when cranking? I am refilling my power steering system, which is completely dry. The manual list a procedure that requires engine cranking w/o starting. What so I have to disconnect in order to do so?

Thanks,
Sergey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pull the fuel pump fuse, it will run for a minute then die out.

I never did it this way when bleeding power steering.

Just get both front tires off the ground, fill the resevoir, turn the wheel lock to lock 3-4 times, keep filling the resevoir as air escapes. Then towards the end when its getting full, start the truck and repeat the proceedure a few times, lock to lock check fluid level.....

then turn truck off, drop tires back down and your good to go, check for leaks
Check fluid level after an hour of driving or so.

You could also unplug the inertia switch in the passenger footwell.

My system is completely dry, no fluid in it. Manual recommend different procedure for this case

It suggests disconnecting ignition control module. I did not even know it existed for 96. I wonder where it is.

jtsmith, how do I disconnect coil pack? I mean, what exactly do I have to disconnect?

Thanks

pull the fuel pump fuse, it will run for a minute then die out.

Can I simply disconnect crankshaft position sensor?

there is a plug right on the side of the coilpack--the thing the spark plug wires come out of. unplug it---

Thanks, that's what I'll do!

my systems have been new when I have bled them this way, that is how I have always done it and it works 100% on explorer's

as long as the resevoir is full and you cycle the pump side to side the air will escape, running the engine is just to ensure all the air gets out.

good luck

Back