Does PATS disable the voltage to the fuel pump? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does PATS disable the voltage to the fuel pump?

. . .
So basically at this point i can crank it over...but won't start without giving it a manual squirt of fuel thru the throttle body...i know it's a pats issue from all the reading I've done here...

Does the engine start and die or continue running? What year is the doner? On my 2000 Sport the PCM disables the fuel injectors when there is a PATS issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ILCO key is a clone that's sold by ACE hardware, among others. It indeed has a battery inside that can be replaced. The battery generally lasts from 3-5 years. A discharged key will retain it's programming, so after a battery replacement, it should work again.
Interesting, previously I had assumed this key had the remote fob integrated into its head and that was all the battery was for, but apparently clone means it duplicates the original key's ID and needs the battery to function starting the vehicle.

Unfortunately that also means the vehicle still thinks you only have one key so can't use the original and the clone as the two keys needed to DIY program in a 3rd OEM/passive type transponder key.

http://www.ilco.us/media/769714/v3/File/ilco-ez-clone-plus-with-snoop-instructions.pdf

Does the engine start and die or continue running? What year is the doner? On my 2000 Sport the PCM disables the fuel injectors when there is a PATS issue.

The donor is from a early model2001 explorer..date coded12...19...2000
Problem is this was a wiring that i can't get from ford dealer..the main engine to body harness on later...after August 01 is a match...but I've been unable to find this harness at any pick n pulls..
Right now it'll fire for a couple of seconds but die..seems as if it's just getting the key on primer fuel..or maybe it's not pulsingthe injectors..going to throw a injector noid on it this week to verify..

Well finally got around to trying a noid tester..definitely no pulsing of the injectors....any one have a solution?..or idea of how to get these working?

The THEFT light flashes rapidly when there is a PATS issue. Until you correct the reason for that occurring the injectors will not fire. With modern fuel injected engines the most difficult issues with an engine swap are electrical instead of mechanical.

Why wont the cluster light up

Welcome to the Explorer Forum! You have posted in a sub forum for 2nd generation Explorers model years 1995 thru 2001. Your vehicle information indicates that you have a 2006 or 4th generation Explorer. If so, I suggest that you start a new thread in that sub-forum so members knowledgeable about your model can respond. Also, I suggest that you provide more details regarding your problem and what things you have tried. Did you check the battery cables and clean the battery posts and terminals. etc.?

Yes, it disables the fuel pump. You are on the right track.
hi is it just the fuel pump that is disabled and what year explorer does it just disable fuel pump?

AFAIK, PATS (at least this generation of it) does not cut power to the fuel pump, but I vaguely recall that there are some European Explorers that do have a fuel pump cutoff, anti-theft circuit in series with the fuel pump supply wires, that you'd find in a box near (or on?) the fuel tank.

^ It could be that my attention span is shot to hell, but skimming through (at least the first page, then subsequent pages just searching for "fuel" and "disables") that topic does not mention exactly how PATS accomplishes no start, no mention of exactly what is disabled until CDW6212R stated it disables the ignition here:
Solved - Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Otherwise the only thing I saw in that topic's first several pages was in the first post:
This module carries out all of the
PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition
key and controlling engine enable. The PCM initiates the key interrogation sequence
when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to ON or START.

The PATS function uses the PCM to enable or disable the engine. All elements of PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start.

^ It could be that my attention span is shot to hell, but skimming through (at least the first page, then subsequent pages just searching for "fuel" and "disables") that topic does not mention exactly how PATS accomplishes no start, no mention of exactly what is disabled until CDW6212R stated it disables the ignition here:
Solved - Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Otherwise the only thing I saw in that topic's first several pages was in the first post:

I searched that thread for the word " injectors" and got the answer.

New here( 2002 explorer xlt) , so hello , I'm going through similar issue, mine occurred getting a jump start , , started for 30ish seconds , died, smelled circuit board burnt,on back of cluster it was a capacitor or resistor I believe, that was all, replaced with identical year make 4x4 ect, still showing dashes as milege ,cel on , theft blinks as if key is off , I had previously wired to push button , but no FP, or injectors and I believe they are on same relay circuit, any thoughts I may have missed?

has anyone considered that instead of looking for 12 volts to the starter or 12 volts to the fuel injectors, perhaps the PATS has kept them from ground? it's the last thing you would expect...

^ Easy enough to check with a multimeter, though in our case (2nd gen) PATS does not disable the starter. A thief can crank all day long and wear the battery or starter out. I wonder if Ford engineers think that in retrospect they could have done that better, but I'm sure there was some cost limit about redesigning it, and now~20 odd years later, would we be better off for the increased complexity of that? I think not.

Last edited:

Thinking of either cutting 2 wires on the PCM or jumping a couple of relays.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you, sir. I ran out of money with this problem replacing everything. I'll try that and post results.

Back