How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

JETZ, I rather have fog lamps then the LEDs, I have the new edge too, and I think besides looking cool tehy don't serve any purpose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah while I like the look of the LED's on the Edge, I do prefer to have a set of fogs like we have and keeping the traditional DRL setup.

Well, I like fogs too, but they are not HID, dimmer than the HL's, I will correct that.
More, and more new cars are going with LED DLR's, so I do find it odd that Ford left 'the new kid on the block' out of 'new look' loop.

Frank

I would have love LED DRLs, Audi had a great innovative idea and since then many makes have adapted to the style, It would have been nice if Ford had jumped on the bandwagon too. It's the same with HID projectors, after over 10 years of them on the market you'd really think that any decent new car would come standard equipped with them. Also I will eventually put brighter bulbs in the fog lights to match the headlights.

What beam pattern did you use for the front map lights? They are available in beam patterns of 35 degrees to 360 degrees, what beam angle should i choose?

Yes, the replacement bulbs are SMD194 wedge bulbs. In the front dome lights I used bulbs with 9 individual LED lights on it and in the rear I used the shorter ones with only 5.

As for the removal of the 3rd row/ 2nd row without sunroof, you can pry a flathead screw driver under the side that doesn't have the "light on/off" button. It will simply pop out. However getting to the bulb is a whole different story. I havent figured out how yet.

Any word on that back middle light, anyone found a part that will work well changing it

Sorry if this is a new thread but I couldn't find the previous one anymore where someone had started it and mentioned that they didn't know how to replace the second row bulbs. I just swapped mine tonight!

Here is the DIY
(This is how I did it, which doesn't mean there is no other way. All I needed was 2 screw drivers)

The front dome lights:

With a flat head screw driver pop out the clear plastic gently. It will be a bit reluctant to come out but it will come off all the way without forcing it.

IMG_0957.jpg

I then proceeded with removing the aluminum "foil." It is very thin so be careful not to bend it out of shape too much.
Once it's off you'll have easy access to pull the bulb out.

IMPORTANT! Before putting the LED bulb in, put the foil back in place, otherwise it won't fit over the bulb.

Once the foil is in, inset the bulb and test it. If it doesn't, flip the bulb.

Once they are both in, you can clip the plastic back in and voila!

The rear ones are EASIER!

Under the flip out coat hanger you'll find a screw, see below:
IMG_0958.jpg

Once the screw is out, the assembly will come out:

IMG_0959.jpg

The bulb is located in the side of the housing. To remove it, simply twist the bulb assembly 45 degrees and it pops out:

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

put it all back in, and this is the result:

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

I also replaced the license plate lights, which is so simple, it's pretty much self explanatory, but if anyone is in doubt, don't hesitate to ask.

IMG_0967-1.jpg

yup i'm gonna ask, how to change the bulbs in the plates. basically how to remove the clear plastic lens cover from the bulb holder
edit:i notice you gotta pull the wire out more and the bulb holder twists off from the wires.

I have now changed out all interior lights to LED, MINUS the 3rd row dome light (i've got moon roof).

Lights changed:
x2 map lights
x2 2nd row lights
x2 license plate lights
x1 glove box
x2 visor mirror (led is a little to bright, I plan on using wax paper or something to dim it)
x2 puddle lights (in side mirrors)*required me to dremel housing but was very easy and only took 3-4mins/each. Then I used auto/marine silicone to reseal unit
x2 fogs (piaa plasma yellow)
x2 halogen headlights (HID 35w 6k 9005 from VLEDs)
Car is looking much better, like ford should have sold it in the first place. I've run across one issue which seems like some are having anyway.

When i close my doors, it takes about 1-2 mins for all my lights to turn off except for my 3rd row dome light which stays on for 10mins. I know this is supposed to be normal but mine didn't start doing that until I changed out the normal bulbs to LEDs.

Before then it (3rd row dome) would turn off with the rest of the lighting in 1-2 mins. I'm wondering if I should add some "load resistors?" not sure if that's what it's called. Also the button on the 3rd row also doesn't turn off the light like it did before. Has anyone installed these or have any experience with them?

What LEDS were used for the outside mirror puddle lights? There is no description for this lamp in the owners manual?

I have now changed out all interior lights to LED, MINUS the 3rd row dome light (i've got moon roof).

Lights changed:
x2 map lights
x2 2nd row lights
x2 license plate lights
x1 glove box
x2 visor mirror (led is a little to bright, I plan on using wax paper or something to dim it)
x2 puddle lights (in side mirrors)*required me to dremel housing but was very easy and only took 3-4mins/each. Then I used auto/marine silicone to reseal unit
x2 fogs (piaa plasma yellow)
x2 halogen headlights (HID 35w 6k 9005 from VLEDs)
Car is looking much better, like ford should have sold it in the first place. I've run across one issue which seems like some are having anyway.

When i close my doors, it takes about 1-2 mins for all my lights to turn off except for my 3rd row dome light which stays on for 10mins. I know this is supposed to be normal but mine didn't start doing that until I changed out the normal bulbs to LEDs.

Before then it (3rd row dome) would turn off with the rest of the lighting in 1-2 mins. I'm wondering if I should add some "load resistors?" not sure if that's what it's called. Also the button on the 3rd row also doesn't turn off the light like it did before. Has anyone installed these or have any experience with them?

I'm having the same issue with the 3rd row light. I swapped out the front two map lights, the 2nd row map lights (I have the rear moonroof) and the plate lights to LED. It worked fine for about three days and then the problems started with the 3rd row light. It's either staying on, or not coming on at all. Also, the interior light button on the dash will not control it at all anymore.

I've tried the following with no positive results:

Replaced all of the LEDs with the original factory bulbs
Unplugged the 3rd row dome light multiple times
Pressed the 3rd row dome light button in a multitude of manners (held down, pushed three times, pushed with doors open, doors closed etc)

I've also found several threads with people stating they are having the same problem. Some of them have never modified their interior lights. No one seems to have a clue on this one yet...

I'm thinking of disconnecting the battery and giving the X a full reset or looking into the resistor idea you mentioned. Not too versed with the latter so will have to do some digging around to figure out how...

Anyone else seeing this problem pop up? Any ideas for a fix??

I'll just have dealer look at it, there seems to be many issues with this even without the swap.
Regards
Raj

I'll just have dealer look at it, there seems to be many issues with this even without the swap.
Regards
Raj
Hope there is an easy fix. Let us know what happens at the dealer... Thnx and good luck.

So CDN, any ideas yet for the puddle light, and 3rd seating, like others state, the back end lighting sucks at best, it would be great to find a retro fit for the back end...

So CDN, any ideas yet for the puddle light, and 3rd seating, like others state, the back end lighting sucks at best, it would be great to find a retro fit for the back end...

Basically the only way to replace the puddle lights is to dremel open the housing, swap the bulbs and re-seal it with silicone or whatever. I haven't done it but from what I've been finding out that's pretty much it. As for the 3rd row, I have no idea. It only comes on when the trunk opens and not the doors, so it doesn't look odd and personally I'm OK with it. But if I find a way, I will swap it too.

Basically the only way to replace the puddle lights is to dremel open the housing, swap the bulbs and re-seal it with silicone or whatever. I haven't done it but from what I've been finding out that's pretty much it. As for the 3rd row, I have no idea. It only comes on when the trunk opens and not the doors, so it doesn't look odd and personally I'm OK with it. But if I find a way, I will swap it too.

I tried to bake the light in the oven but that didn't work, so I went to the dremel. I used a flat disc and just cut out the seal. It fits perfectly unlike the dremel pictures I saw somewhere else that someone used a bit similar to a drill bit and it was really messy.

I wished my 3rd row only came on when I opened my trunk, mine comes on when trunk, and doors open, and when the interior light button is pressed. THEN it stays on while driving :mad: Mine looks "odd." I haven't even checked to see if it turns off after 10mins of driving but I will now that I think of it

Please let us know if you find a fix or swap :D

I was thinking of adding light/fixture in the tail gate or side panel, I think I can add a duplicate, 3rd row light from Ford?

I was thinking of adding light/fixture in the tail gate or side panel, I think I can add a duplicate, 3rd row light from Ford?

This is the rear lighting Ford has added to the tailgate of the Police Utility (Explorer)

I apologize for the poor focus on this.

Trying to get some better pics for you.

They also put two high power round lights in the rear speakers located on rear pillars because Police version deletes the speakers. (pics to follow)

IMG_0621.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sgt

Keep us posted on the pics. Was wondering about doing some retro fit to that area to add some addtional lighting

Back