How to extract max ATF from dipstick | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to extract max ATF from dipstick

@Josh P I think that’s a good idea

I installed an external filter on my 4R70W, will be going on my 5R55E when I get some time. It’s a remote spin-on that I bolted to the frame forward of the right wheel well. On the 5R I’m going to add a drain valve and barb/nipple as you mentioned so I can easily do a change.

I want a valve that allows me to select from straight through to 90° flow though, otherwise I think it may drain very slowly, if that makes sense. Maybe a Y valve, not sure what my options are

I have drain plugs on the converter and pan of the 4R70 so I don’t need it

Figure I’ll mount it to the IN fitting

1674838464349.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes

Hot I can get out just under a gallon
Cold a full gallon exactly

Use motorcraft fluidView attachment 438510
View attachment 438511
Jealous lol. Don't know how you do that.

Tried again just now. Completely dry straight away.

Ran engine for 1 minute in park. No better.
Ran engine and cycled gears once. Slow engagement (expected) but after was able to get a little more out.

I have exactly 1900ml so 2.00845665961945 quarts. Just going to put 2 quarts in now. I'll do this 4 times over maybe a week. Not what I wanted but it's the best I can do in my current situation.

Or drop the pan and replace with one with a drain plug, or if you’re handy install a drain plug in it. Fumoto valves are even better. That way you can easily do 4qts at a time.

Getting the pan out on a SOHC is a ***** though, gotta unhook exhaust

Or drop the pan and replace with one with a drain plug, or if you’re handy install a drain plug in it. Fumoto valves are even better. That way you can easily do 4qts at a time.

Getting the pan out on a SOHC is a ***** though, gotta unhook exhaust
Would love to. Not viable for me right now 🙁

When you're putting your tube into the dipstick tube you have to make sure it goes all the way down to the pan

These Ford automatics hold about 12 quarts of ATF. Most of it is trapped above the pan, near a gallon in the TC and the rest up above the valve body.

If you want to get the most old fluid out, drop the pan and just slightly loosen all of the VB bolts, a couple of turns at most. Often that will allow a tiny amount of air to get past the VB gasket sealing, and a few more quarts will drain, over an hour or so.

ATF now costs $6 or more per quart, a little less for cheap brands, and top level brands are $10+ each. If I drop the pan, I want to improve the VB while I'm in there with the messy job, plus replace as much fluid as possible. VB work is tedious and slow for experts, most people should avoid touching the VB.

Back