How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will go out and do it now! What do you want me to look for? The light on or off?

Let me go out and start it up and paperclip the two.;)

BRB give me 5mins I will post the news A.S.A.P.

So you're telling me that when you disconnect the liftgate & liftgate glass switches, 1 at a time, the interior lights do not come on?

Then there is an issue with the wiring. Did you revisit the thinner black wire in the boot?

Since the pics aren't in this thread anymore for checking the wires, here's what I did:

I can't remember, but I believe I unwrapped the wires enough to gain access. When I have gone searching in there I had an idea of what wire I was looking for. It was the thinner black wire. I located the thinner black wire and gently tugged on that wire on the door side. The wire was pulled toward me and out of the harness. I then went inside the vehicle and gently tugged on the thinner black wire and was able to pull it inside the vehicle. I then spliced a length of wire to the 2 ends, completing the circuit. I then gently pulled the excess into the door.

Like I said before, when I was having the following symptoms, it turned out to be the thinner black wire that was broken:

The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it.

I recommend following the above steps with the thinner black wire.

No luck with the glass but the hatch will ding but the door ajar light stays on.

The light is ALLWAYS on I have to turn it off from the drimmer. I will post a pic of my door no tape at all 2hrs looking at 3 feet of thinner black wire. lol

I dont have....This going on.

the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, , the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off,

I'm getting a Popsicle headache. :p:

PM me your email address and we can go from there.

I am determined to get to the bottom of this. I will not be defeated! :D

I'm getting a Popsicle headache. :p:

PM me your email address and we can go from there.

I am determined to get to the bottom of this. I will not be defeated! :D
I like to think of myself good with this stuff most of the time but this one is KICKING MY ASS.:mad:

Ok BigRondo I'm off in a few so if you want to talk cell is goinig to be the best way. I sent you a pm with my info.

Thanks for the help.

Holy **** it’s working!!!!!!!..........
I think what happened is I took out all 6 of the switch’s to clean and lube all at the same time.
Well I switched the two back one’s for the hatch and glass and now all is fine…WOO HOO…:bounce:

As far as I know both where the same? :scratch:

Holy **** it’s working!!!!!!!..........
I think what happened is I took out all 6 of the switch’s to clean and lube all at the same time.
Well I switched the two back one’s for the hatch and glass and now all is fine…WOO HOO…:bounce:

As far as I know both where the same? :scratch:

Are you serious? :eek: That is awesome. :biggthump

Looks like I don't get my northbound road trip. :(

Are you serious? :eek: That is awesome. :biggthump

Looks like I don't get my northbound road trip. :(

Oh sure I have lots to fix still come on up.
1. Wheel bearing.
2. Driver side seat belt light code 33
3. Dripping ATF from I have no clue why? Some times when I try to start it the starter just spins on the flywheel.

Oh sure I have lots to fix still come on up.
1. Wheel bearing.
2. Driver side seat belt light code 33
3. Dripping ATF from I have no clue why? Some times when I try to start it the starter just spins on the flywheel.

The trip may still be on!! :):thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this fix on the broken black ground wire. It was exactly the case on the 04 explorer my daughter now drives. I know this potentially could have gotten expensive chasing down at a shop. All it cost me was a bit of time. The hardest part actually for me was trying to strip the wire while holding the boot out of the way - just a bit awkward for me. I chose to wire nut my splice.
I want to say I really appreciate all the great info here and for those of you that take that extra bit of time to post annotated pic w detailed instructions, much heartfelt thanks.

I will be tackling this repair tomorrow, as I'm at wits end with the beeping sound going off every 10 seconds from the door ajar sensor. Originally, it only made the noise at random times when I was making a turn with my signal on..very strange.

Now with this arctic freeze thats hit the northeast, I think it accelerated the problem.

If I find a broken wire and go to fix it, it looks like the 12 awg wire is the same as basic speaker wire? I have tons of that laying around. Can I just just that to fix whatever area is broken and twist it all together and slap some electric tape on it?

where on the doors can i find the door ajar switch i have a 2002 4.0l 4x4 4 door model and cannot locate the switches

LOL, I've been dealing with this for a couple of years now! I just turn the interior lights off every time before turning the ignition off. I think I'm gonna tackle this soon though. I'm getting tired of it. I'll wait for the weather to warm a bit though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright Bigrondo, I’ve finally come around to asking for your assistance as you seem to be one of the most, if not the most knowledgeable on here- or if anyone else can help for that matter id be more than grateful. My 03 V6 XLT is currently having some symptoms that maybe you can help figure out. I’m 90% sure its the drivers door. First and foremost, its at a friend place and he’s trying to figure out the door ajar issue as well. It happened once before and I sprayed the heck out of it with wd-40 and it was fine for a year- maybe 2! Now its back.. I spent an hour toying with symptoms and came up with the following; After starting the truck, the door ajar light and interior lights stay on until I get to about 10 mph when the dome lights AND door ajar light goes off and stays off until I open the door again. I can only use my keypad intermittently. When swinging the door shut, it flashes like it gets power and shorts out and then gets power and shorts out again. But when closed, I can't use the pad like its not getting power. If I’m driving and I turn the dome lights to the off position it turns off the door ajar light as well if for some reason they don’t turn off... About a month ago my mechanic friend fixed a wire to the power windows in which, like my keypad currently, depending on the position of the door they would work. Might be in that same wire group??? A separate issue (maybe not?!?) is that over the past couple years when set in the automatic position my head lights don’t turn off for exactly 3 minutes- I timed it over a dozen times to be sure. I do NOT have the message center so I can't change the timing of the lights- I also have an Aviator and am familiar with changing that. I have LED tail lamps and had the turn signal fuse replaced at one point due to rapid flashing when signaling right (but not left).. Its just frustrating. I’m at 199600 I think, and I’m eager to start driving her again. I just had the exhaust replaced a week ago and I was ready to get back on the road with her until this. I drive about 60K a year and spread the miles between a few cars but wont get rid of this one! Any help, from you or someone else is appreciated.

Back