How To: Get rid of the annoying beep/chime from the message center | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Get rid of the annoying beep/chime from the message center

mistertonylee

Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Hi. If you're like me, you probably don't like the beep from the message center the 15th time it tells you your washer fluid is low, or that you are soon due for an oil change. I set out to remedy that situation. It turns out that it is a pretty simple procedure.

Of course, I'll start with the standard disclaimer. You do this at your own risk. I can't be held liable for any damages, etc. resulting from this modification. I have an 1999 explorer with the message center from the factory, so I'm not sure about the wiring for other years. I didn't disconnect the negative battery cable, but that might be a good idea. OK. Here goes.

Start by pulling the message center out of the center console. It just pulls straight up, and is held in by clips. You may find it helpful to wiggle the cupholder console to free it. You're interested in the wiring going into the back.

101_1003.jpg

Now, locate the connector that has the wire in question. It is circled, and on the left if the third connector is on top.

101_1007.jpg

Now, you're looking for the wire numbered 25. It is tan with a yellow stripe. The far right wire is numbered 28, so just count back from there.

101_1008.jpg

Just cut that wire, cover the ends with wire nuts, heat shrink, etc, and plug everything back in. You could even get fancy and put in a switch to turn the beep on/off.

Thats it! Hope it works for you.

Cheers, Tony

Well that's a good way to start out on a forum!

Do you have the wiring manual for this year or did you deduce it by trial and error?

Back