Message Center/Climate Control Electronics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Message Center/Climate Control Electronics

wwrightsc

Reaction score
City, State
usa
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer
Hi, I have a 96 XLT without the message center or lcd climate control panel. I have a friend with a 96 Eddie Bauer that is going to the junkyard. Can I take those parts and put them in mine? I know they fit in the spots, but is my car pre-wired for them? I noticed on his behind the message center all the wires go into plastic receptacles. In mine the receptacles are there but unused. Can I install the Digital Climate Control and Message center in my car without major modifications?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will have a ton of changes to make for the climate control (aka ETAC), and i mean lots! as for the message center, its not too bad, lots of people including myself have done them. they will not just plug in and fire up, you will need to wire these in yourself.

you will have a ton of changes to make for the climate control (aka ETAC), and i mean lots! as for the message center, its not too bad, lots of people including myself have done them. they will not just plug in and fire up, you will need to wire these in yourself.

X2 The climate control was a huge pita... Have to run wire under the hood for the outside airtemp. Also theres sunload sensor that goes on top of the dash. Also a new blend door actuator has to be installed. Also theres a hose and air temp sensor. It runs from a little vent next to the radio to a hole(which you have to make) in the HVAC box behind the glovebox. Pretty much all the wires in the harness for the climate control had to be run and spliced.... If I had to do it again I prob wouldnt.... Didn't do the message center so I'm not sure how involved that is... Good luck if ya go for it though!! Just do your homework first! :D

the message center is fairly simple to install, there are 14 wires to run and since you are sourcing a 96 to put in a 96 it will work just fine

for the EATC... it will be more involved, but if you can get the WHOLE TRUCK and take the dash boards of each truck out... it might be more doable than some others are thinking

the truck has all the harnesses and parts (saying it was all working)

BE AWARE that if the EATC should fail, it's going to be expensive to fix vs the manual setup witch is more reliable and cheaper to fix (this is why I kept my manual setup)

Back