How to install headlight load resistor on a 4th gen explorer, that have Hid kit. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install headlight load resistor on a 4th gen explorer, that have Hid kit.

east1la

Reaction score
City, State
Mount olive, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone. I wanted to show everyone how to install "load resistors" on headlights, to get rid of the "headlight warning light" on dash, 4th gen ford explorer . I'm not sure if someone has or not posted this before, but here you go. I did this on my 2007 ford explorer this morning.

This project took about 45-60 minutes to do (It depends how quick you can do this project. I took my time on this project.). I am not responsible for any damage YOU do to your vehicle. Attempt this installation AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I bought the load resistors on Super Bright LEDs, from this place# http://www.superbrightleds.com/. it came with instruction on how to install them for a turn signal bulb, but its the same idea for headlight bulb. this web page has a copy of this instructions, if you want to see it.
I used 4 load resistor (6 Ohm, 50 Watt resistors) for this project (I have bi xenon hid 8000k kit).

You are going to have some basic hand tools.

I started on the passenger side headlight (it really don't matter with side you start with). First thing to do is remove headlight assembly.
IMAG1401.jpg

I used a test light, to see with wires are the negative wire, low, and high beam wire. You can use a wiring diagram to also find out which wires are low, high, and negative wire. Once i find out which wires is low, high, and negative wire, I wrote them down. I'm going to need this information later.
IMAG1419.jpg

Here is the wiring diagram for a 2007 explorer.
1headligt.png

now its time to install 2 load resistors on passenger side (one for the low and high beam) I drilled 2 small holes, for each resistors. I bolt them down. (make sure they don't touch plastic parts because they heat up like a light bulb)
IMAG1404.jpg

now, I am going to connect both negative cables (from resistors) together. Im installing the ground wires to body of suv. You can tap both this wires into the ground side of headlight harness.
IMAG1407.jpg

IMAG1406.jpg

I used this male end connector. I don't remember where i got this. I had it with my spare parts box. Im glad I have this. the passenger side was unplugged because my hid kit set up.
IMAG1409.jpg

I plugged up both resistors into this connector. I left the middle one unplugged (its the negative wire). once plugged up, I taped them and used wire loom.
IMAG1411.jpg

IMAG1412.jpg

this is the finish picture, all plugged up and wire loomed.
IMAG1417.jpg

I did almost the same thing for the driver side.
IMAG1424.jpg

On driver side, I tapped into the driver headlight harness. once everything plugged up, I taped up wires and also wire loom. I reinstalled both headlights.
IMAG1421.jpg

IMAG1428.jpg

picutre of my explorer with HID on.
IMAG1429.jpg

IMAG1430.jpg

this short video shows that "check headlamp" warning message don't show up on dash when turning on headlights, with low and high beam.
th_VIDEO0008.jpg

So what ya think about this??? Hopefully this will help someone that plans to do the same thing on there 4th gen explorer, but not sure how to do it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good great write up:thumbsup:

great write up sir. Will use for sure

great write up sir. Will use for sure

Go ahead, use the information. I hope it will help anyone that wants wants to get rid of that "check headlamp" warning on dash.

Go ahead, use the information. I hope it will help anyone that wants wants to get rid of that "check headlamp" warning on dash.

Great post THANKS,

I'm in the same boat.

Courious, did you use the optional "stop warning light" kits available by many suppliers of the Bi-Xenon kits?

I did and it doesn't work, that's why I'm here looking for such an article as yours.

Lampo
2007 Sportrac

Great post THANKS,

I'm in the same boat.

Courious, did you use the optional "stop warning light" kits available by many suppliers of the Bi-Xenon kits?

I did and it doesn't work, that's why I'm here looking for such an article as yours.

Lampo
2007 Sportrac

Great post THANKS,

I'm in the same boat.

Lampo
2007 Sportrac

Thanks.
I tried something that claim it would get rid of "check headlight" warning, but didn't work. I went to ford dealership, to see if they could turn off the warning on dash w/ ford scanner. They told me they could not disable it, but they told me to use load resistors.

My headlights are still working w/o that headlight warning on dash.

Thanks.
I tried something that claim it would get rid of "check headlight" warning, but didn't work. I went to ford dealership, to see if they could turn off the warning on dash w/ ford scanner. They told me they could not disable it, but they told me to use load resistors.

Again thanks ! I have ordered the LED resistors you suggested, waiting delivery.

No problem. You may need extra wires, for installing resistors (wire for resistors are little short).

Hello great write up. I just did this to my hid kit but I still get the error on the right side I guess is because the right oem harness does not connect to anything do u know what can I do. Please help

Hello great write up. I just did this to my hid kit but I still get the error on the right side I guess is because the right oem harness does not connect to anything do u know what can I do. Please help

Thanks. I had to add 2 resistors on the OEM headlight harness that was unplugged and connected to hid kit (see picture # 11 & 12, for an example). My local ford dealer suggested installing 2 resistors, per headlights (one for low and 1 high beam bulb). Maybe someone may sell connector online (like the one I have in picture # 7 & 8). I don't remember where I got this connector from. I hope this will help you.

My hid kit still works fine w/ the resistors installed. Also no "check headlight" warning on dash (knocking on wood).

Retro solutions

It looks like you did a lot of custom wiring. I bought my kit from retro solutions and it came pre wired with capasitors for the check headlamp problem. All I did was mount everything, plug in and was good to go. When ordering the kit the drop down menu has an explorer specific option that adds the 4 capasitors or resistirs now that I think about it. Whatever there called. I was shipped a nice little case with everything I needed. Super easy. You should check it out here is my post with pics.
[URL="http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351682"[/URL]

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351682

Thank you, thank you very much, with the information in this post solved the problem I had with the warning light on the dash and now all good. This is already 4 months.
I purchased another kit for the fog lights but Cambus and no problem to install.

Back