How to: - Install Overhead Console in 1st Gen Explorer - UPDATED | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Overhead Console in 1st Gen Explorer - UPDATED

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I may be that the board has fried. Remove the overhead console (two screws under the garage opener holder, two clips, and the wire harness plug.) You need to remove the black box and open it up. Send a pic front and back.

this can happen ...( my thread on the ohc...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264477 )

(lots of pics with the ohc took apart )

the first one i bought the display would not come on..took it apart and noticed that a #191 resistor had broken it's connection ...could had fixed it but there were 3 other ohc at the yard to have so i took that route but from what i've read it can be a easy fix .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great job! When you address the wiring hookup, stress the importance of hooking up the gray wire to the speed sensor circuit to get it to work; otherwise the temp displayed will "freeze" and not vary with change. That has been a subject of confusion in the past (especially with me), some saying you don't need to hook it up. Again, great job!
i didnt wire this up and the fact that it doesnt change is kind of annoying. can i just ground it or tap it into a power source or does it actually need the real speed signal to work? i dont particularly want to take EVERYTHING apart again to run one wire.

and if i do have to wire it, it goes to the GEM behind the radio correct? is there only one gray/blk wire there?

is this console from a different generation explorer?

Work on a '92?

Ok, the first link you showed said that this will only work in 93 and up...?
Any information regarding this?

I have a 92 and am going to get a second gen one this weekend, so I know that will be a little different I just didn't know if anyone had experience with this.

I actually am getting the 2nd gen one cause I'm going to use the moonroof controls in it...to power the moonroof I got! :D

I picked up a 94 Limited today. The overhead display works perfectly but the map lights will not turn off. I had to add a non conductive spacer so they don't drain my battery. Any ideas on what could be causing that?

Ok, the first link you showed said that this will only work in 93 and up...?
Any information regarding this?
if you dont have the mounting holes, and youre ok will making them yourself itll work. i didnt have them. i just drilled the 2 screw holes and the 3 holes for the bracket to mount on.
works fine. i just did it a tiny bit to far left, but ill fix that later on. doesnt bother me since the visors still fit and shut fine

if you dont have the mounting holes, and youre ok will making them yourself itll work. i didnt have them. i just drilled the 2 screw holes and the 3 holes for the bracket to mount on.
works fine. i just did it a tiny bit to far left, but ill fix that later on. doesnt bother me since the visors still fit and shut fine

Excellent. Thanks Xeek!
Always nice to hear from someone who has actually done it before you go cutting into something hahaha.

yea its these holes:
(mr q's pic)
IMAGE_029.jpg

i only did the 2 vertical slots. not the middle one or the small hole.
i plan on a mini write-up after im done wiring it. ive just been to busy to mess with it. but its installed with wires ran anyway, just not tapped in

After installing low temperature always appears on the display. Here in my country in the hottest days fry eggs on the asphalt and appears 40 ° F.
Any suggestions?
I appreciate any help.

I have a question too! My temp sticks, it measures when i first start it but does not update...sometimes it will but most of the time it does not. Just what ever the first reading was:( It didn't always do this, so should I just swith out the sensor? I do have a spare I think. :scratch:

Did you tie in the vehicle speed sensor wire Stico?

Orleans, it sounds like a bad sensor, or possibly a short in the sensor wires.

Did you tie in the vehicle speed sensor wire Stico?

Orleans, it sounds like a bad sensor, or possibly a short in the sensor wires.

I want to say, no. Can't remember it was a long time ago when I put it in. But, it did work like it should at one time. Just started sticking some time ago, and I never worried about it. I think it stopped working after a super cold day (for So Cal anyway)

I remember reading at the time (how to: in a Bronco Driver magazine) as long as the sensor was protected it did not need the speed sensor plug in.

I can't really check anymore, because the roll cage kind of forever sealed my wiring in the a-pillar.:(

I guess I'll have to just try switching out the sensor and see if it works.

hey mr Q i have a question concering my 93 overhead when i start the x it wont turn on and when driving nothing shows, but sometimes it'll turn on but as if were being reset it'll come up with zeros with lines threw it. what do you thin would be wrong with it

NOTE ON THE TEMP SENSOR!!

Do NOT, I repeat NOT, mix up the two wires going to the temp sensor. THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!! You will fry your temp sensor in a matter of seconds. I have gone through two before I figured it out. Make sure you wire them correctly and/or mark your wire extensions correctly!!

This is my problem.
The colors of two wires that are on plug the sensor are different. One is red / orange and the other pink / black.
How do I get to know the power cord and the return wire?
I bought a new sensor and do not want to burn it.
I appreciate any help.

Wow, thanks man!

I just scored a center console and mirror from pull-a-part.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome, i picked two up from the junkyard today one of the shorter ones and a longer one. there were a bunch at the yard. i didn't know which one would fit. (Navajo with sunroof)

did you have to do anything other than drill some holes? i am gearing up to do this tomorrow. and since you have already done it, do you think it would be possible to put toggle switches in the garage door opener compartment?

Everything is up in the air if i will keep the overhead or put a switch panel there instead.

Thanks

Back