How to know if your car has the keyless entry system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to know if your car has the keyless entry system?

Freshmo55

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Hello-

I have a '99 explorer sport with power window and door locks that I bought used. I am looking to buy some keyless entry remotes for it off of ebay that I could re-program but I am not sure if my car has the keyless entry remote system. Is there any way to find out if it does before I buy the remotes?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the key pad n the drivers door?

I have extra remotes if you are interested, I would let you have CHEAP!

No i don't have the keypad.

:(

I'm screwed huh?

You may have the keyless entry even without the keypad. My 01 doesn't have a keypad entry, but it does have the remote entry. Go to a dealer and give them your VIN, and they should be able to tell you.

Originally posted by addkev
Do you have the key pad n the drivers door?

What does it matter whether he has the keypad on the doors or not? I'm pretty sure some Ford vehicles come with keyless entry remotes and don't have the keypad entries on the doors.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. Since you bought it used, you have a valid question wondering if it has a system and is just missing the remotes or not.

Heck, I bought mine brand new and it only had one key and remote. I had to pull teeth for them to get me another key and remote.

Yeah, I could bring it to the dealer to find out I am sure, but there's gotta be a way I can find out by just looking somewhere or something.

Anybody know?

I guess I could always buy the remotes and if they don't work, well then I guess I don't have it.

On some years, the only way to get the keyless entry remotes was if it was lumped with the keypad package. The entire package was called "keyless entry". My '97 fits into that category, your '98 might as well. An easy way to see if yours is capable is to turn your ignition on and off 8 times. After the eigth time if your locks cylce down and then back up you have entered the keyless entry programming mode and do in fact have keyless entry. If the locks don't cycle then you don't have it.

NOTE: On '97 and earlier you need to turn your key on and off 5 times, beginning with the '98 model year it went to 8 times.

Thanks Robert.

I guess I will try that and see where it leaves me.

What does it matter whether he has the keypad on the doors or not?

Like Robert said, on some years they are one in the same.
On my wife's Taurus she has keyless and no keypad. And they tried that 1 key bit on us with the Taurus, saying that new cars now only come with one key. We left with 2 keys and about 6 remotes.

Back