How to make your Ford Explorer steering column telescope PICS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to make your Ford Explorer steering column telescope PICS

Did this mod to my Explorer tonight. Got some pics:

The part before hacking it up:
IMG_20110113_175514-1.jpg

I cut the part at the lines in the pic above.

I used a 9mm socket to trace a nice round edge that matches the original ends. I left .15" between the center hole and the edges
IMG_20110113_175536-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

-I'm thinking of doing this to my 05 XLT during the spring or summer, as it appears my XLT didn't get this option.
-Excellent write up.
-So I have a question. After you finish this mod, when you go to adjust the steering wheel do you just undo the lever and pull out on the steering wheel?
EDIT: I know it may sounds like a stupid question, but I figured I shall ask.

-I'm thinking of doing this to my 05 XLT during the spring or summer, as it appears my XLT didn't get this option.
-Excellent write up.
-So I have a question. After you finish this mod, when you go to adjust the steering wheel do you just undo the lever and pull out on the steering wheel?

Yes, when you release the lever you can pull/push the wheel along with tilting it.

-Excellent write up.

Correct. The stupid question is the one unasked. ;)

I'm new to the forums here, but it's like I've struck gold! I just replaced the rubber boot around the gear shift and now I'm about to give myself telescopic steering!

awesome

just did it today and i feel like i should send you $20, great write up :thumbsup:

Telescoping Wheel

Thanks for the write up ... Did this mod to my 2003 EB, NICE addition being a taller guy that has to have the seat all the way back.

Thanks for the write up ... Did this mod to my 2003 EB, NICE addition being a taller guy that has to have the seat all the way back.

How much clearance did you gain from your steering wheel to your knees?
As it is now with my 05 XLT I barely have any room; I have ~2-3" from the bottom of the wheel to my knees.

My knees don't come close to the steering wheel but I gained alittle over 1.5 This lets me keep a bend in my arms while driving, also you have the same travel of 1.5 pushing it in for a total of 3 inches ( could have made it a little more ) but this mod is worth it .

Here's my sunday project. :)

Well, I did this mod today. I was unable to get the dash part above the steering wheel off (no manual to look at), but was able to move it enough to get the upper column cover off. The bolt took a bit of work because it hit the dash on the side.
I was suprised to find the piece that needed to be cut was very hard steel. My hacksaw would have taken many hours to cut through it, so I used my chop saw. It took about 5 min to cut with the chop saw, then I cleaned it up with a bench grinder and file.
I measured 1 3/8" total travel on mine, although there is less when the column is raised to the top because the cover hits the dash piece.
A cool mod for only a couple hours time investment.
Thanks

I got mine taken apart, but couldn't get the main piecethe one that we need to hack) out of the column!! Any tricks or ideas?

ok... I have an XLT with tilt, but no telescoping... so... this is towards the dash and away from the dash, not just between the cieling and floor, right?

Tilt and telescope are the same if you have an XLT more. Base model or mail carriers do not have for sure

Tilt and telescope are the same if you have an XLT more. Base model or mail carriers do not have for sure

Tilt and Telescopic are not the same

Tilt moves steering wheel up and down - we all have this
Telescopic moves it closer to you or closer to the dash

Thanks, took a rookie like me about 3 hours. Had to take all the panels off and grinding with the dremel took forever!!!

just did it today and i feel like i should send you $20, great write up
ditto!

Edit: I just finished mine! It took a couple of hours, as I spent a lot of time on grinding the block. I just cut it, first. After I put it back together, I decided I might be able to get some more extension, by rounding the ends (as factory had). Not a good idea with fading light. I got it back together, twice. Five minutes, each of those times. But, the third, & final time, I spent an hour trying to get it back together. You might want to do this when it's well lit outside.

Also, I would suggest, more cutting on the side of the "keyed block", closest to the firewall (shorter ear). And less cutting on the side closest to the steering wheel (longer ear). Most of us want more extention, while inward adjustment, is less important. Unless you are a woman of 4' 6"! As Hitchhikingmike mentioned....you don't want to cut away too much of the keyed tab. It has to keep the adjustment lever from spinning, and therefore, not tightening up.

Great post!

I ran out to my EX to see if I had it....I don't :(

I wonder what models have this? Mine is a 2002 EX Limited with every option!

Thanks again!

Sorry for no one posting. From what I've seen the only explorers with this option are those who have done it them selves. Honestly I did it and almost never use it. It only moves when I'm just trying to relax.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for bumping this thread! I had forgot all about this.

College Student, I know that you said you never use it, but how was the experience of doing it? Once the mod is complete, does it work like it was installed by the factory, or like it was a homegrown mod?

I am considering doing this. I wish we had a tilt wheel and not just the tilt column. I wonder what it would be like to have the telescope column in addition to the tilt column. :dunno: Never had a telescopic coulmn, never thought that I needed it.

Could you possibly take some pics with the column titled down and pulled toward the seat vs the column up and forward?

Thanks - Rondo

Back