How to secure cross bars and cargo carrier | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to secure cross bars and cargo carrier

logic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hello everyone. My explorer has cross bars on top (well it HAD it) and I mounted a curt cargo carrier on it. Earlier today the cargo was stolen in my work parking lot. They didn't unscrew the rack they unscrewed the bars and took the rack with it. My question is how do I secure the bars? They just screw in so its very easy to unscrew. Is there a locking screw I could get? And is there any way to secure the cargo carrier? I believe my Curt one only had screws that tightened, is there a locking screw for that as well? I provided some pictures. Thanks in advance.
pf6vkn7.jpg

R7l2KqW.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P.S. I bought these off ebay...yes I'm getting another cargo carrier

I was always worried about something like this happening.

I was planning on swapping out the thumbwheel bolts with some sort of security hex bolt, or maybe drilling holes near the thumbwheel bolts, tapping them, and using bolts, or security bolts, to make turning the thumbwheels bolts impossible without removing the added bolts.

Show us the business end, what do they look like where they attach to the rails?

You can buy security screws/bolts in various sizes, not only security torx but even with a different # of lobes to them.

However it seems like leaving a cargo carrier on top where you can't monitor it is inviting people to see if they can snatch it. These days there are even thieves that have a cordless reciprocating saw with them and could just cut through roof rack bars, or bike locks, exhaust pipes around a catalytic converter, etc in seconds, though the noise and obviousness of what they're doing might be a deterrent in some situations... depends on how bad they need meth, lol.

I was always worried about something like this happening.

I was planning on swapping out the thumbwheel bolts with some sort of security hex bolt, or maybe drilling holes near the thumbwheel bolts, tapping them, and using bolts, or security bolts, to make turning the thumbwheels bolts impossible without removing the added bolts.

For the bars I have no clue what to get. I don't really want to drill anything into my car but I found this
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...AWVKCB-RJxA_TyI9wGg6R8k1x077OdAYw2BoCpvrw_wcB

Not really sure if that would work tough

Show us the business end, what do they look like where they attach to the rails?

You can buy security screws/bolts in various sizes, not only security torx but even with a different # of lobes to them.

However it seems like leaving a cargo carrier on top where you can't monitor it is inviting people to see if they can snatch it. These days there are even thieves that have a cordless reciprocating saw with them and could just cut through roof rack bars, or bike locks, exhaust pipes around a catalytic converter, etc in seconds.

What do you mean by business end?

Where would I find hardware like that? Home depot?

And yes I realize it's not the best idea to leave it but
A. I use it a lot camping and taking it on and off would be a pain in the ass
B. It makes my explorer look complete with my grill guard on the front.
BUT if it happens again I'm don't with it. Just hate people sometimes.

Tweekers they take all the fun out of owning something nice that you have to work hard for!!!!!

I don't really want to drill anything into my car...

My idea was just drilling into the bars themselves. I wouldn't really want to drill into the roof either.

What do you mean by business end?

Where would I find hardware like that? Home depot?

Business end is what does the knob turn, how does it achieve friction on the other side of that bracket end? If it's essentially just a bolt with a knob molded on, then you could get a bolt with a security head. If that's what it is, it depends on the size what you might find at a better stocked hardware store but I was thinking of Amazon.

Business end is what does the knob turn, how does it achieve friction on the other side of that bracket end? If it's essentially just a bolt with a knob molded on, then you could get a bolt with a security head. If that's what it is, it depends on the size what you might find at a better stocked hardware store but I was thinking of Amazon.

If you're talking about the crossbars I'm not exactly sure what it looks like on the other end. I can tell you though that on the roof of my car where the bars slide in (the bolts on the bars, in the pictures above) slide in on the track and tighten. So i'm not sure if they are special bolts. I won't know until I get the bars

The problem still is that the bars aren't secured, that's how it got stolen in the first place.

I am saying drill through the OEM roof rack bar, tap it, and run a bolt (security head or not) though to the area of the OEM thumbwheel bolt. The end of the added bolt would be placed close to the OEM thumbwheel bolt, thus making it impossible to turn, if that makes sense :dunno:

I am saying drill through the OEM roof rack bar, tap it, and run a bolt (security head or not) though to the area of the OEM thumbwheel bolt. The end of the added bolt would be placed close to the OEM thumbwheel bolt, thus making it impossible to turn, if that makes sense :dunno:
Yep I get exactly what you mean now (had to think about it for a second). That's actually a good idea...if all else fails I will do that.

Is there enough material there to tap, isn't it relatively thin walled (0.1" at most) aluminum tubing, or do you mean tap into the composite/plastic/whatever? I suppose a nut could be set into that with epoxy though removing more material to do so, might compromise structural integrity... the whole setup seemed marginally adequate at its best/new state.

Back