how to tell if 4x4 is working or not? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to tell if 4x4 is working or not?

RAF

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
I just bought a 91 Explorer 4X4 and my question is how do I know the 4X4 is working? the 4x4 light goes on but its dry outside and I cant tell a difference if its on or not. Any help?

thanx in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put it in 4-high and drive around in a tight circle. You will feel the front end buck and hear the clunking. You should be able to feel the front end pull. Then shift back to 2-hi, if there is not a noticeable difference then you 4-wheel drive is not working.

And do that on a dirt or gravel road otherwise you might cause too much damage to the system

It's been a while since I looked at a first gen but if you jack it up and spin the front wheel then you'll see it not engaged to the differential. When the hubs are locked the whole front piece will spin.

just get on dirt or gravel and stand on the gas. If it spins, its broke, if not, it works.

First off welcome to the site. You will find lots of answers to your questions by using the search button (if you can't find it after searching then create a thread). Also please post in the correct forum. 911 is for emergencies where your X is dead on the road and you need immediate help getting her running again. Do you have autohubs or manual?

Another option you can try is getting 2 sets of jack stands and placing them under the truck near each wheel and then have someone put the truck in 4HI or 4LO with the hubs locked, if you have manual hubs and see if the front wheels spin. Moving to a more appropriate forum. Please read the individual forum rules before posting in each section. The Explorer 911 Forum has a rule regarding criteria to make it considered an emergency. Please review it at the following link, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90274.

IMO....mud,dirt, gravel and stand on it. There is the jackstand option. If your state is an emissions state then take it to have it tested and tell them you want to use the 4wheel dyno....and watch.

or you could find a sick hill, lock it in 4LO and try to climb it.

Back