How to tell if used Explorer has side air bags? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to tell if used Explorer has side air bags?

mnaussie77

Reaction score
Looking to buy a used Ford Explorer to replace our '99 that was totaled in an accident. We found one at a Ford Dealership that we like. It is a 2003. But I am unsure if it has the side curtain airbags or not. It does not say airbags on the side roof like others we have seen. But when we go to fleet.ford.com to check the vin it says dual front and side airbags.

I contacted Ford by email to find out for sure and was just told -

"I received your email inquiring about the side curtain airbags on the 2003 Ford Explorer. I have looked into this matter for you.

I have checked my resources and found that the 2003 Ford Explorer XLT only has second generation driver and passenger air bags."

On the vin of the car in question, the letter in the 4th position is a "Z". Others we have seen with side bags have a "D". So going by that, it does not have them. But why then would the ford site vin decoder say it does?

We only want to buy one that has side bags so need to figureout how to find out for sure if it has them or not. Anyone know how I can find that out?

Do all Explorers have the airbags stamp on the inside roof if they have side bags? The dealer said maybe since 2003 was an older model, they did not always put one.

Thanks for any help.

Probably was included with certain upper level models. My 2002 Eddy Bauer has them as indicated by a sticker on the top over the ctr post trim.

My 03 XLT has a "D" in the 4th position of the VIN. I do have the side air curtain. The headliner has the "Air Bag" label right above the B & C Pilliar. Also driver door glass has a little round clear sticker that says" Personal Protection" when it came on from the factory and was delivered to me that way. Good luck on your search for your Explorer. BTW, try to get a 4.6L V8.

Air curtain (side air bag) was an option during that model year.

I recovered my headliner, so it no longer has the "Airbag" labels above the pillars. The easiest way to be 100% sure is to pop the interior trim piece off of the driver's A-pillar and look for a white rope that runs down the A-pillar and is bolted down with a copper color bracket and bolt, as shown in the picture below.

photo_zps130df984.jpg

Back