Stability control on 2003 explorers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stability control on 2003 explorers?

safefordexplorer

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a 2003 ford explorer in the coming months. I am looking to purchase one with side curtain airbags and vehicle stability control. It is easy to tell if the vehicle has curtain air bags by looking for the little badge above the B-pillar but I don't know how tell which ones have stability control.

How can you tell if the explorer has vehicle stability control? Is this option only available on V8 explorers for this model year? Thank you in advance for any advice you all can offer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am looking to purchase a 2003 ford explorer in the coming months. I am looking to purchase one with side curtain airbags and vehicle stability control. It is easy to tell if the vehicle has curtain air bags by looking for the little badge above the B-pillar but I don't know how tell which ones have stability control.

How can you tell if the explorer has vehicle stability control? Is this option only available on V8 explorers for this model year? Thank you in advance for any advice you all can offer.

if it has stability control there will be an "AdvanceTrac with RSC" badge on the right-side of the rear liftgate, there will also be a button by the cupholders that will activate and deactivate AdvanceTrac.

AdvanceTrac comes standard on 2005+ explorers.

if it has stability control there will be an "AdvanceTrac with RSC" badge on the right-side of the rear liftgate, there will also be a button by the cupholders that will activate and deactivate AdvanceTrac.

AdvanceTrac comes standard on 2005+ explorers.

Thanks for your help! I notice some same say "AdvanceTrac" while others say "AdvanceTrac with RSC." I wonder if there is a large difference. I haven't seem any pre-2005 explorers with AdvanceTrac and a v6 - do you think it is limited to v8 models?

I believe that advancetrac RSC started in 2004 or 2005, I'm not sure but I think Advancetrac wasn't available for early or perhaps all 2002 models. I know it was available for 2003 my and to my knowledge, only for the limited and therfore the v8 (maybe the eddie bauer as well) but up to now I've only seen limiteds with it.

Both systems have the basic pitch and yaw sensors (sideways motion, pivoting motion etc), but the difference between advancetrac and avancetrac rsc (roll over stability control I believe) has to do with an extra gyro sensor that detects impending roll over and tries to correct for it. the basic advance trac does not have this sensor but will activate the side curtain airbags on rollover and maintain them inflated for a longer period of time.

I believe that advancetrac RSC started in 2004 or 2005, I'm not sure but I think Advancetrac wasn't available for early or perhaps all 2002 models. I know it was available for 2003 my and to my knowledge, only for the limited and therfore the v8 (maybe the eddie bauer as well) but up to now I've only seen limiteds with it.

Both systems have the basic pitch and yaw sensors (sideways motion, pivoting motion etc), but the difference between advancetrac and avancetrac rsc (roll over stability control I believe) has to do with an extra gyro sensor that detects impending roll over and tries to correct for it. the basic advance trac does not have this sensor but will activate the side curtain airbags on rollover and maintain them inflated for a longer period of time.
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer (4.6L V8, 4x4) and it has Advance Trac. I had assumed all V8 models in the 3rd-generation had it (at least with a 4x4 drivetrain) but perhaps that was not the case.

hi ,i have a 2003 ford explorer xls v6 and the rear cv axel are making noise, my cuestion is how to know when bying new ones if there traction control or not?

Back