• Register Today It's free!

How to tell mileage?

Shadow91

Reaction score
City, State
Graham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer XL
Just curious, on my 93 explorer the odometer only says 21,000 miles because Ford thought it would be cool to only use 5 digits.. anyone able to tell me how to tell if it has 120,000 or 220,000 miles? And how many miles does these 4.0 engines usually last for? I have tons of power and it has never given me any issues, starts up within a couple seconds regardless of how cold or warm it is outside, pulls hills without a struggle at all, good acceleration, no knocking or noises.. Just wondering if its holding up good for 220 or if imn lucky and only have 120.. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd guess 120, or for some crazy weird reason, only 20, lol. that would be sweet.

I think the only way to know would be to scan, what did the title last say, or is there an old oil change sticker on the windshield?

you can always get a "carfax" that will tell you.

i can usually tell the difference between 1xx,x.. and over 200k by things like, wear on the brake pedal.. is the rubber warn through to the metal? if not, then it's 120k for sure.

as for how long the 4.0's last.. they are actually a very long lasting engine.. they don't make a ton of horsepower, but they never wear out. mine has 225k on it and i abuse it hard. it pulls strong every morning as i floor it up the street from my house to warm it up. the transmissions are the weak link.. my trans needed to be rebuilt after only 215,000 miles.
I've seen 2 all original 4.0's with over 350k miles on them running like new still.

the only common issue i know of with the 4.0's is lifter tick caused by warn push rods (which are cheap and relatively easy to replace) this usually happens if you run really thick oil, lucas, etc. (it doesn't get up the push rod and lubricate the tips as quickly/well as correct weight of oil)

ohh, and they like to blow head gaskets if you run them out of coolant!! (i haven't done this personally, but fixed a couple which had this done to them)

you can always get a "carfax" that will tell you.

i can usually tell the difference between 1xx,x.. and over 200k by things like, wear on the brake pedal.. is the rubber warn through to the metal? if not, then it's 120k for sure.

as for how long the 4.0's last.. they are actually a very long lasting engine.. they don't make a ton of horsepower, but they never wear out. mine has 225k on it and i abuse it hard. it pulls strong every morning as i floor it up the street from my house to warm it up. the transmissions are the weak link.. my trans needed to be rebuilt after only 215,000 miles.
I've seen 2 all original 4.0's with over 350k miles on them running like new still.

the only common issue i know of with the 4.0's is lifter tick caused by warn push rods (which are cheap and relatively easy to replace) this usually happens if you run really thick oil, lucas, etc. (it doesn't get up the push rod and lubricate the tips as quickly/well as correct weight of oil)

ohh, and they like to blow head gaskets if you run them out of coolant!! (i haven't done this personally, but fixed a couple which had this done to them)

My dad's is at 260k (I think) miles... and the brake pedal looks as good as mine at 120k miles. His did just get a replacement trans though.... Motor sounds better than mine though...

OP, there is really no DEFINITE way to tell. Highway miles are less abusive on vehicles than city miles, if it sat for long periods, some things may be in worse shape than if they were driven constantly to reach the same mileage. If the owner took care of it, 220k miles can look better than 75k miles with a sloppy uncaring owner.

My best advice I can give you. Forget about it. If it runs good, just smile and give it a hug. Think of it as a wife, you don't REALLY want to know about all the mileage was put on her before you met.

Carfax will work though if it has been through multiple owners as long as someone registered above 120k, or the sub 120k registries have happened fairly close to when you purchased it.

The early 90TM head castings like to crack when they overheat too, and the later ones will crack almost as easily.

I have a 92 two door with what I am led to believe has about 60,000 miles on it. The interior is in perfect condition, with very little wear on the common spots such as steering wheel, gear shift and the armrests, both console and the doors. The body is in outstanding shape-no rust anywhere. It was out west most of its life so the paint is shot. The largest piece of evidence is the carfax report. There have been three other owners other than myself and the guy I bought it from knew the owner before him. I think it was a second vehicle for a long time.

Carfax, I think is the best way to determine the miles, but you really never know unless you knew the people involved.

My best advice I can give you. Forget about it. If it runs good, just smile and give it a hug. Think of it as a wife, you don't REALLY want to know about all the mileage was put on her before you met.

haha best advice yet.

problem is, curiosity always gets me in trouble.

There is a post on this site where someone noticed that when the odometer turns over it scratches a line on the left edge of the wheel for 10th of mile counter. When it turns over the second time there should be another line scratched on the wheel inboard of the first line.

There is a post on this site where someone noticed that when the odometer turns over it scratches a line on the left edge of the wheel for 10th of mile counter. When it turns over the second time there should be another line scratched on the wheel inboard of the first line.

What do you mean? What wheel are you talking about and how do i get to it?

i saw that too.. looked at a couple vehicles and didn't notice anything, so i think it may be a myth.

I saw that post too. I don't know about that scratch mark thing. I looked at all my Exs plus some spare 89/90 f/s truck speedos I have and I didn't see any marks or a mechanism to make the scratch. I did however notice wear marks on the number faces from the keeper gears on the back side of the gauge.

I will be tearing an explorer speedo apart soon and will post some pics. I have a feeling that it will be constructed the same way as the pre-92 full size trucks were. I have two explorer speedos I can compare, a 94 6-digit speedo and a 92 5-digit.

I've got a 92 5 digit that I took apart and I see no mechanism for making marks. I have carefully inspected my 92's odometer and my dad's 91 odo, I see no scratches. His should be at 240k and mine should be at 120k.

You can tell from seat and steering wheel wear too , if it's 220 the seat and steering wheel will look like crap , but 120 it should look fine.

Also if the front quarter panels are rusted that's a sign of high millage too. The front quarters never rust on first gens unless they're high millage.

You can tell from seat and steering wheel wear too , if it's 220 the seat and steering wheel will look like crap , but 120 it should look fine.

Also if the front quarter panels are rusted that's a sign of high millage too. The front quarters never rust on first gens unless they're high millage.

My dad's explorer is over 200K with a near new looking steering wheel and good looking pedals.... granted, with the steering wheel, it did have a cover on it when we bought it, so that may have helped with the life, but these arbitrary conditions some people keep giving are not really going to help much.... Some owners can destroy a vehicle in 50k miles, I have seen other people put 500K miles on vehicles and you would have never been able to tell.

Yeah. With the wear and everything its hard to say with mine. When i bought it the interior was shot. Absolutely ripped apart from the front to back. The front dash was ripped out, seat was held onto the rails by hose clamps and springs sticking out and just tore apart.. But the engine ran great. So its hard to say, it all depends on how the last person took care of it. I can however say there isnt a speck, not anywhere on mine, of rust. I've looked, and i have none. So yay for that.

wow.....after looking at this post never expected to go out to my truck n find out i have 302,666 miles on it. Thought it just rolled over to 200,x... Damn.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow.....after looking at this post never expected to go out to my truck n find out i have 302,666 miles on it. Thought it just rolled over to 200,x... Damn.

Was there an actual mark on the speedo??

Back