• Register Today It's free!

HUD + OBD2connector

0scarsky

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport XLT
Hello, I bought a HUD since i assumed my 2000 Sport Std XLT has OBD2. I couldn’t get any info coming from the computer other than voltage which i’m assuming is not from the PCM. I have a scanner and it works fine, yet for some reason the HUD doesn’t get any tachometer, speed or temperature readings. I checked continuity and all seems fine. It has DLC bus +/-, the data line on #7, EATC, and the power supplies + ground. I read somewhere that there is a L +/- pins but mine doesn’t have them. Anybody knows what the issue is? Or does this explorer simply doesn’t transmit that info? Or is there any other pins that i have to plug directly to the PCM? Just for clarification for those that love to chime in but have no idea what any of those things mean, this is a display issue with info coming from the PCM, it has NOTHING to do with scanners and codes, all that works fine. This is a question for someone who knows OBD2 in depth and/or PCM output values. Thank you so very much in advance.

31930E23-BDC7-4D75-A29C-3D2FAD10BB4B.jpeg FFC575B4-DB2E-4AEF-B0E1-FD184A99A49F.jpeg 3DEB2C8B-60BA-4B47-B0E3-9420509A53FF.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

w
Hello, I bought a HUD since i assumed my 2000 Sport Std XLT has OBD2. I couldn’t get any info coming from the computer other than voltage which i’m assuming is not from the PCM. I have a scanner and it works fine, yet for some reason the HUD doesn’t get any tachometer, speed or temperature readings. I checked continuity and all seems fine. It has DLC bus +/-, the data line on #7, EATC, and the power supplies + ground. I read somewhere that there is a L +/- pins but mine doesn’t have them. Anybody knows what the issue is? Or does this explorer simply doesn’t transmit that info? Or is there any other pins that i have to plug directly to the PCM? Just for clarification for those that love to chime in but have no idea what any of those things mean, this is a display issue with info coming from the PCM, it has NOTHING to do with scanners and codes, all that works fine. This is a question for someone who knows OBD2 in depth and/or PCM output values. Thank you so very much in advance.

View attachment 435493 View attachment 435494 View attachment 435497
what was the model you bought? the explorer does transmit that info at least in 98. i have seen scanners/interpreters that do not get certain info that others have.

w

what was the model you bought? the explorer does transmit that info at least in 98. i have seen scanners/interpreters that do not get certain info that others have.
I am not completely sure but i think is the XLT. The wiring diagram above is correct.

It’s surely ODB2.

How much was your HUD?

I am not completely sure but i think is the XLT. The wiring diagram above is correct.
no the HUD model not the truck. few things i wanna check on em

Something seems amiss. You've pictured the wiring diagram but not the DLC connector shown on it, which is 16 pins, under the dash.

Does your HUD state it has support for J1850 PWM protocol? It will need that. The DLC connector uses pin 2 (Bus +) and pin 10 (Bus - )for that.

See diagram below of your pictured PCM connector, the corresponding pins are #16 Bus + and #15, Bus - ... unless they changed it from '96 to '00. Note that this is a pic of the PCM not the connector to it... AFAIK, but on second glance it looks a bit like it maps backwards like a mirror image of your pic rotated 180 degrees? I don't know.

Engine Controls 4.0L SOHC PCM Pinout 24-6_1996_pc10.jpg

Yes, the wiring is correct and the DLC is correct and continuity is correct. What i’m trying to find out is what kind of info is L+ and L- or which pins transmit data related to speed, oil pressure, water temp and RPM. That’s all. Thank you

Link to where you read about L pins? It may not matter, see below. I'd guess L just means low, for one of the protocols. Since your vehicle uses J1850 PWM, it communicates on the pins I've already mentioned, pin 2+ and 10- on the DLC, or pin 15- and 16+ at the PCM. No others besides power +/- and signal ground are needed.

I have come across instances in the past, though with scan dongles not HUDs, where the seller claimed support for all '96-onward OBDII including J1850, but either they only supported GM's J1850 VPW and not Ford's J1850 PWM, or didn't really support J1850 at all. One dongle I kept because works fine on my later model, CANBUS Explorer.

It would have been easier to just start out linking to this HUD, but I found one that looks the same on Amazon and see a pattern to the reviews, that it does not seem to function on vehicles that have older protocols than CANBUS:

Here is another listing on Amazon where the About This Item bullet points state " but OBD chipset can't work on the cars before 2008" which again suggests to me that it only supports CANBUS, not J1850 PWM, so cannot work with your '00 Sport. Different protocol, it isn't just a matter of hooking the J1850 wires up to its CANBUS wires. Return it for a refund if you can. You need a HUD that specifically supports J1850 PWM.

Amazon product ASIN B08TBQZR84

Excellent info.

Link to where you read about L pins? It may not matter, see below. I'd guess L just means low, for one of the protocols. Since your vehicle uses J1850 PWM, it communicates on the pins I've already mentioned, pin 2+ and 10- on the DLC, or pin 15- and 16+ at the PCM. No others besides power +/- and signal ground are needed.

I have come across instances in the past, though with scan dongles not HUDs, where the seller claimed support for all '96-onward OBDII including J1850, but either they only supported GM's J1850 VPW and not Ford's J1850 PWM, or didn't really support J1850 at all. One dongle I kept because works fine on my later model, CANBUS Explorer.

It would have been easier to just start out linking to this HUD, but I found one that looks the same on Amazon and see a pattern to the reviews, that it does not seem to function on vehicles that have older protocols than CANBUS:

Here is another listing on Amazon where the About This Item bullet points state " but OBD chipset can't work on the cars before 2008" which again suggests to me that it only supports CANBUS, not J1850 PWM, so cannot work with your '00 Sport. Different protocol, it isn't just a matter of hooking the J1850 wires up to its CANBUS wires. Return it for a refund if you can. You need a HUD that specifically supports J1850 PWM.

Amazon product ASIN B08TBQZR84
Great. Thank you very much. I think this solves it. That one looks like the one I got or is at least from the same company: A6000 HUD from vjoychina.com.

I already returned it and will start a search for something compatible. Any suggestions on products that are integrated with Spedometer, Tachometer, Oil pressure, and temperature are well appreciated since we all know those analog gauges on the ICP are very, very basic. Thank you very much.

Great. Thank you very much. I think this solves it. That one looks like the one I got or is at least from the same company: A6000 HUD from vjoychina.com.

I already returned it and will start a search for something compatible. Any suggestions on products that are integrated with Spedometer, Tachometer, Oil pressure, and temperature are well appreciated since we all know those analog gauges on the ICP are very, very basic. Thank you very much.
ooh i do remember scangauge iirc? but i dont recall quite which parameters were supported i do remeber it did trans temp and what not. also oil pressure is not read by these its simply a switch iirc

Back