I can't get the Automatic Locking Hub key out!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I can't get the Automatic Locking Hub key out!!

Reaction score
City, State
Hartville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Ranger FX4
I'm converting my 1990 Ford Bronco II (D28) with automatic locking hubs to manual. The little "wedge" or "key" that keeps the nut in place (the nut right before the wheel bearing) is stuck and I can't get the dang thing out. I've tried the magnet method and the pounding it through method and nothing is working. I finished the other side and it went smoothly. I really need some ideas. Help please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your replies but I did get the key out. I stopped working on it for a while, ate dinner, went back to the garage and tried again. I got it out with the magnet, first try. It's one of those things where you could mess with it for hours then stop, come back to it in 15 minutes and it comes right off. Oh well no complaints!

Oh and BTW the 4 wheel drive works great now! I cannot wait for it to snow! 2-5 inches of snow is in the forecast!

you can usually get the sticky ones by cleaning everyhting with carb/brake clean and them move the big nut back and forth just a tiny little bit (as much as the key will allow you to) then put it right in the middle of its travel

tap the spindle with a hammer lightly as you work the key with the magnet or a dental pick... at the junk yard these suckers can be a PITA!! but I wint let that stop me from grabbing a good pair of 91-94 4x4 spindles!!

I use a magnet I got from busting open a old hard drive I have. That SOB really sticks to stuff. If you can find a rare earth magnet I think they are called, they have a lot of pull to them also.

I use a magnet I got from busting open a old hard drive I have. That SOB really sticks to stuff. If you can find a rare earth magnet I think they are called, they have a lot of pull to them also.

I was going to use an earth magnet but I think I lost mine. You can get them at craft stores I'm pretty sure.

I used a magnetized screw driver LOL

nothing like the old smack em together trick!

speaker magnet works good too in the tool box (read tweeter)

I sometimes loose my magnet but all I got to do is dig through my tool box and look for a pile of tools all stuck together!

yeah, a magnet is the way to go. I used a cow magnet and got some pretty corroded ones out of an x1 at a junkyard once. It took about 2 seconds. Obviously this won't affect you, cuz you already took care of the problem. but for anyone who has the problem and sees this thread, spin the rotor back and forth a little, spray some wd-40 in there where the key is, try to get the key out with a magnet, and repeat until it works. That's what i had to do on my first Explorer

Back