I Have to Load An Engine in My Cargo Bay - 200 lbs+ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I Have to Load An Engine in My Cargo Bay - 200 lbs+

JFUSION

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
On my way home from summer vacation I have to pick up a spare engine to replace the one that expired in my sports car. I will be loading it in the cargo bay , it measures 25 inches by 20 inches (give or take) and will weight 200+lbs. Looking at the underside of the cargo bay materials it looks like some flimsy fibreglass type of material. I think I'll avoid putting it directly behind the seats as that area is only supported by a metal V shaped support. I will try to cut a piece of plywood to support the weight a bit better and spread the load evenly. Has anyone put some decent weight in the cargo bay without issues ?. Thanks for any replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ That's what I was thinking :)

Put the plywood in.

I carried twenty 50lb bags of decorative stone in the back of my X without a problem, but then the weight is distributed pretty well.

Put the plywood in.

I carried twenty 50lb bags of decorative stone in the back of my X without a problem, but then the weight is distributed pretty well.

All at once? That's impressive... :D

I've put 4 sets of clubs back there before. Clubs weighed 150 lbs, but the mud on the clubs from chunking 400 shots was probably another 400 lbs...but hey, no problem !! :eek:

i have had an engine and trans in the back of my explorer, but its a 2nd gen so not really relevant lol

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I will go with the .75 inch plywood to be safe, thanks for the great info. here, much appreciated.

Just have to add I had a 5.3 liter 2 cylinder in the back of my 2nd gen, John Deere, haha.

Carried a 350lbs gun safe with no problem. Got pretty lucky that I didn't break the boards, they're pretty thin. I'd go with 3/4 plywood for support.

400lbs of dirt and rocks.

20120528_134803.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I will go with the .75 inch plywood to be safe, thanks for the great info. here, much appreciated.
That would give you some good points to bolt some tiedowns as well so the thing doesn't go rolling around.

I agree the plywood should help support and provide spots to bolt it down. But if it was me, I would look into getting trailer hitch and spec out one of those platform hitch haulers and see if it has size and ability to support your engine. Good luck :)

Back