Weight capacity over folded flat third row seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weight capacity over folded flat third row seats

Largefarva

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Just wondering if anyone can give a rough idea of how much weight the third row seats in their folded flat position can handle without causing anything to get damaged. I've scoured the owners manual and even contacted my dealership to see if there were any official or unofficial limits stated for a weight limit.

Reason I ask is because we have two dogs (both boxers around 60-65lbs each), and the back of the Explorer (behind the 1st row of seats) is their domain when they are in the vehicle. But it's also where we will have to carry any essentials when we head out of town. Some of those essentials are their dog crates. One of them is a standard wire kennel that you can get at Petsmart...no big deal. Weighs maybe 10-15 lbs. The other crate for our male dog is a Zinger Winger aluminum kennel that weighs 35 lbs because the wire kennels are too flimsy to keep him in. Then on top of that we have to bring our own essentials (i.e. clothing, toiletries, etc.). I would estimate the most any of that would weigh at most 50-75 lbs depending on how long we head out of town and what kind of shopping we plan on doing.

We plan on having the dogs mainly over the 2nd row seats when we have the back filled up so their weight shouldn't affect the folded down 3rd row seats...just the cargo we need to take with us.

Otherwise in town from time to time we need to get salt for the water softener or cat litter which bags of either weigh around 40 lbs each. We usually buy 2-4 bags of each when we get more (either/or....usually don't have both cat litter and bags of salt). I can spread out the salt bags a bit better than the cat litter but I still worry about damaging the panels that create the false floor over the 3rd row seats. Whenever we head out we usually bring the dogs with us...so the entire back is going to be flat most likely. If need be we can skip bringing the dogs with us if it's going risk damaging anything back there.

So I guess I'm asking for real world experience from the collective here on what the heaviest load you've placed in the back with the 3rd row folded flat. Any and all info will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put 2 full size suitcases, a stroller, my 75lb boxer, pack n play, and other crap all at the same time with no issue. It is more about spreading the weight out then having 1 point with majority of it.

Plus the seats on the 15 have the reinforced back so you should not have to worry.

I sort of figured it would be just a matter of trying to spread everything out but wasn't sure how sturdy that false floor above the seats really are. I would imagine that Ford would plan on people placing a decent amount of load there and would strengthen appropriately. I'll have to look again to check out the reinforcement you mentioned (although I haven't seen an earlier version to compare against).

I'm thinking my main concern should be the cat litter bags because they really can't be spread out...their footprint is rather concentrated and can't be changed. Just make sure I place them away from each other.

My other idea when considering trading in my truck for this Explorer is to make sure it has the tow package. I can always rent or buy a small trailer to carry cargo in...but that's only if absolutely necessary. I'm thinking it's not going to be needed, but we'll see when it comes time for our next trip to Gatlinburg.

Edit: you mentioned having a boxer yourself. I was just wondering what, if anything, did you do to cover that 1.5" gap between the 2nd and 3rd row seats when they're all folded down? I came up with something that covers that gap up and all holes in the area but if I need to put the 2nd or 3rd row seats up I have to take it out. Just looking for other ideas that may be better than what I have.

I have put in 80# bags of Sakrete and blacktop mix (10 of those bad boys) with no detrimental effect whatsoever.

I have carried 600 lbs of bagged sand with no problems. I thought about loading 800 lbs but with 600 the rear was sagging enough that I said enough.

Thanks for the info, everyone. Looks like I should be good to go if people are able to load upwards of 600-800 lbs of stuff back there without damaging anything.

Thanks for that link, Peterk9. I'll have to read it later on tonight when I can get a few minutes. I didn't see it because I didn't do my due diligence and try a search first.

The key to not damaging the seat backs is to >>lay<< any heavy loads in the back. Don't drop anything on them. Even so, no guarantees.

I used some scrap cardboard and created a template for the area behind the front row of seats, cut it out of light plywood, and carpeted it to give a flat platform for my dog. He doesn't require a crate. I regularly carry 1 or more 50 lb bags of dog food, 40 pound bags of water softener salt, etc. I've never had a problem.

Agreed with being careful and not throwing stuff back there. Especially after reading that quoted thread in it's entirety last night.

As far as the need of the kennel for our male boxer....it's not for the ride or anything. It's for whenever we get to wherever we're going and if we go somewhere while there and the dogs don't go with us we have to kennel them. Either because it's part of the rental agreement for the cabins we rent, or because he would likely cause a lot of damage due to separation anxiety issues he's had his whole life. We don't need to kennel him anymore while at home because he's pretty well behaved anymore...but when he was younger he would sure cause a ruckus when we left the house. He's calmed down quite a bit over the years but even now if he's not completely familiar with a place we have to make sure he's kept kenneled while we step out. Boxers can sure be unique creatures....and we wouldn't have it any other way. The different personalities we have between just the two we have right now is quite interesting. :)

I think it is the extension panels that are the issues. Once the seats are flat, the front section of each is only supported by the two brackets underneath them. I pitched it all anyway and went with the Police Package parts - lots of storage under the floor now and I imagine they'll still carry a pretty decent load.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419317

The different personalities we have between just the two we have right now is quite interesting. :)
:)

I have a plastic kennel for my Golden Retriever that slides together at the midpoint seam, and nests together when taken apart. He's a little over a year now and doesn't use a kennel at home. When we're at friends houses, I still put him in it just to be sure. Another 6 months and he'll be through with kennels.

I got this one at Petsmart. It is much better than an older model that had rotating locks. The front door has loops top and bottom to tie in the upper and lower halves. I like it a lot.

:)

I have a plastic kennel for my Golden Retriever that slides together at the midpoint seam, and nests together when taken apart. He's a little over a year now and doesn't use a kennel at home. When we're at friends houses, I still put him in it just to be sure. Another 6 months and he'll be through with kennels.

I got this one at Petsmart. It is much better than an older model that had rotating locks. The front door has loops top and bottom to tie in the upper and lower halves. I like it a lot.

I know what kind of kennel you're talking about, and I really wish we could use something like that but Roscoe will have nothing to do with it. The kennel we have to use for him is this:

http://www.zingerwinger.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16409&cat=0&page=1

The original kennel we had for him was one of those wire kennels you can buy at Petsmart or Petco....just like the one we have for Gracie, our female. She still has the original one that we bought when she was a tiny puppy. Him....not so much.

He destroyed the gate on his by the time he was six months old. There was no bending it back in shape to be sort of serviceable whatsoever. We used ratchet straps to try to keep the door shut...that worked for a few days until he realized that he could just chew the strap in half and get free. So I purchased a new wire kennel the day after he chewed the strap in half. That kennel lasted one day. One. Day. lol Actually it wasn't even a full day. Either my wife or I come home at lunch time to let them outside and he had it destroyed by lunch time that day. Six months old is all he was....so we knew we had to get serious to keep him and our house safe.

So we found the Zinger Winger kennels and ordered one. He's gotten some of the powder coating off but otherwise it's held strong. He's never once been able to get out of it. Even though we barely ever use it...it was a good investment.

The only problem with the thing is how it's constructed. It took about an hour or so to assemble and requires two people to do. So it can't be broken down....once it's assembled it's meant to stay that way and it takes up quite a bit of room especially in a vehicle. Fortunately Zinger Winger makes a collapsable version now, but it's awfully expensive at $900. So we're hoping that we can just stick with the one he has now but if needed we have that option.

So....you have no idea how much I wish we could use a kennel like you've described. lol :)

Yup...Roscoe let us know early on that he didn't like to be left alone and especially in a kennel. We're glad that he's much better these days and we haven't had to use their kennels at home for several years now.

Out of curiosity, assuming that you have your 2nd and 3rd row seats folded down, how do you get your dog into and out of your Explorer? We bought a ramp so that our two can get in and out without having to jump. They're both getting up there in years and we were just afraid of them injuring themselves and wanted to try a ramp instead of having to lift them in and out all the time. Unfortunately they aren't taking to the ramp too well yet...so I'm looking for any other possible ideas that may work or help us out.

I agree with dco43054 about the plywood idea.

I do the same thing. Since I used to keep my 2nd row and 3rd row mostly stowed (because I rarely had passengers aside from my significant other), I used 1/2 inch plywood that covers the 2nd and 3rd rows and roughly follows the interior contours of the wall of the cabin. I sanded it down, stained and sealed it, and put rubber moldings along the sides of the plywood to prevent it from scratching the plastic interior body panels. But like dco43054, you can line or cover the plywood with any material that suits your use and maintenance needs.

The plywood mitigates the "concentrated" weight issue as it spreads the pressure of the weight.

Since I've had more reasons to carry passengers lately, I found myself having to remove the plywood more often; and worried about dinging or hitting the exterior body of my Ex when carrying the big piece of plywood even with assistance. To address this, I'm getting/installing leather hand-carry straps.

Back