I think it finally died | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I think it finally died

F Sane

I had 2 shops give me an estimate to replace my v8, and both quoted about 20 hrs plus "incidentals", whatever that means. But their rate was close to 100 an hour.

A shop with a lift can probably do it in 10.

I did it on my driveway with a buddy in about 10-12 hours crawling under the truck, standing inside the engine bay and so on.

The second time I pulled it out was even shorter by few hours.

v6 is probably similar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

F Sane

I had 2 shops give me an estimate to replace my v8, and both quoted about 20 hrs plus "incidentals", whatever that means. But their rate was close to 100 an hour.

A shop with a lift can probably do it in 10.

I did it on my driveway with a buddy in about 10-12 hours crawling under the truck, standing inside the engine bay and so on.

The second time I pulled it out was even shorter by few hours.

v6 is probably similar.

You might be right, but the quote an overall price. Anyhow,

Dropped by a shop that I've been to a bunch of times in the past. Don't know why I didn't go here in the first place. Labor was quoted at $1000, motor $1000, but not 50k like I wanted. He said, it would be around 80k motor. I told him that I'd like the one with the least miles and to call me should keep anything else before ordering. Also want some sort of proof, like a VPN from the donor car. Already left him deposit to order motor. Going to drop by Monday to work out motor details. Car probably going to the shop Tuesday or Wednesday. My final worry was timing chains. He said he'll open the valve covers before dropping the motor in. Also going to change timing tensioners.

I'm planning on keeping the new parts from the current motor, like the ignition coils, wires, as they have maybe 400 miles on them. Along with new water pump, generator. Anyone think I should keep anything else, any parts as spares?

Just a thought....

Would anyone want my current motor after I replace it with another? As mentioned somewhere in the middle of this thread, the compression test showed 120PSI on all except two cylinders, which were 119PSI. Rear chain is still good but front chain needs replacing. Just figured since I paid $$ to get it fixed way back, maybe its worth something so someone.

Update: Had the truck towed to the shop yesterday. Motor on the way and hopefully we see the road soon.

Update: truck still in the shop, they keep delaying the job.

Final Update:

Truck is alive once again... Swapped the motor for an 80k motor and its running like brand new.

Thinking of selling it now though as I might have a major purchase in mind. how much can I chase for this truck? Clock says 188k, motor has 80k, trans probably original, but runs/shifts perfect. Tires are brand new, maybe 500 miles on them, all tire sensors were replaced so no lights on the dash at all.

Back