i want 33's! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i want 33's!

I run a 5.5 inch lift with 33/12.5 and I had to do alot of trimming on the fenders, about 2-3 inches. I haven't had a chance to take it off-road yet so I'm not sure how the rear flex is yet. But I am with cableguy on this one, I would't run less than 5.5 with 33s. oh yeah I have 15x10 rims with 3.75 backspacing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't worry

I'm not mad Fenderguy...... I just don't think it's remotely possible! Let's put it this way. Stock tires are 29" tall right? OK, you go from 29 to 35 inch tires. That is 3 more inches of clearance you need, right? Then you go buy a 4 " lift. You put it on. Granted, your 35's may fit, but as soon as your lift sags, your screwed. Not to mention, this 4" lift only leaves you 1" of extra clearance for your new 35's to travel, before sagging.(BIG PROBLEM) I don't care how skinny you run, your still going to rub the rear fenders.

Granted, you have a fiberglass front end and trimmed rear fenders. We all know that NOW, but I could do the same to my truck and run 38's if I wanted. But I wouldn't tell everyone that 38's would fit under a 6" lift when I was done. That's all I'm sayin!

(nice signature by the way!)

Philip, Go with 8" wide rims and your problems will be solved! I run around the same lift and have no problems up front at full lock!

I was going to get a 8 inch wide rim but I like the way the 10 looks, you know deep. Plus if I ever go bigger then wider is a must and I'm not sure I want a 14.5 or 15 wide tire on a 8 inch wide rim. I'm okay now, I did some triming. But thanks anyway

But back to Olivesman. Hey man just get a 5.5 or 6 inch lift, and you will be glad you did. Because you know once you get the lift on the bug is going to bite you and you will want bigger. Already happened to me and I've only had my 5.5 inch lift for about 2 or 3 weeks. Like I just said on Hotweels thread, with the 6 inch lift down the road if you want to go bigger then a body lift is an easy option.

I started with 33s and a 4" lift. The only rubbing was at the rear of the front fender openings. That was with an aftermarket front bumper though. I suppose it's possible that you would have to trim a little from the bottom of a stock bumper. That's not really a big deal with a sawzall.

You are right Char, it was only a matter of 1/4inch on the front bumper. i said screw it, and cut the hole thing apart...now my front bumper is only 2.5-3 feet long.

every explorer, even the same year and model, is different. fenderguy and I have basically the same explorer, same suspension lift and he can fit 35s. before I put the 6" coils in, there was no way i was going to fit even 33s. Even now, I've had to cut. I say play it safe...have a good shop test fit the tires before you buy them.

Whoops... Char was actually Rick LOL. We traded machines tonight.

I was wondering why Char was talking like it was HER
explorer. . . LOL

BTW. . .On my 2000 I fit 33's with only a T/T and shackle lift, with only minor rubbing in the front, except at full compression. And I'm looking into some fiberglass fenders so I can get 35's and tell everyone that I fit 35's with 4" of lift also. . . =)

Cableguy

I know for a fact that Fenderguy's truck works just fine and is one of the off-roadiest trucks around. It seems to be able to go anywhere with no articulation problems. I wish my truck worked as good as his does.

Why do people argue over things they have no clue.. Whats real life and what is on paper are TOTALLY 2 different things.
I second what Brian K said about Colin's truck. Plus i'm looking to go to 35's and have only 4 inch of lift. Plus..i have NO SAG. Just need to put on new front fenders and Wha Lah.
I can tuck my 33's in the rear fender without rubbing when my truck is articulating and thats with a 3.5 offset on the rims too.

Hey Fenderguy! How big a tire could I run with no lift, the fiberglass fenders, and all the trimming I need in the rear on my '93? I'm trying to keep it low, but i want 33's... Maybe a Duff 2.5" if I absolutely must lift

I'm sure they would fit, but with no lift you souldn't be able to turn or go off-road hard with it. The back if you're not worried about cutting it would fit. Maybe it would be alright with the 2.5" lift. Not really sure. Never seen it with tires and no lift. If you are getting the tires anyway, put them on and see what it will and won't rub. then you should be able to tell how much lift you need.
Good luck.

is it possible to do a spring over without welding ? =/

i have a 2 inch body lift, and a 1.5-2 inch skyjacker.. do you guys suggust going to 33's or just getting 32's

Boats-
If you don't mind doing some triming, then go for the 33s. If you do mind then be safe and go with 32s. Bkennedy has a 4" with 32s and it looks good, with no triming I believe. Anyway, it all depends on if your partial to your firewall and fenders. Obviously I wasn't because I wanted 35s. Good luck with the decision.

can you cut the firewall partly...i have a part that hangs down vertically that keeps hitting t he tire.... i think ift goes all the way down. i think it is part of the fender apron area.....

I didn't cut the firewall at all. I took a sledge hammer to it as much as I could :DI cut down the plastic innerwell part also. I left just enough to keep crap flying into the engine compartment from the tires.

Fenderguy,

I still want to check out your ride one of these days. Possibly next week sometime maybe at lunch if you're free. What part of town to you work in. I'm on Dyer right off of 55. Lets pick a day and I'll cruise my Explorer up that day too if you're interested and you can look it over. Let me know on here of send a mail.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jim-
take the wheel off, grab a sledge hammer and go to town. Or if you have an air hammer that's what I used. I got that as far back as I could with the hammer and I don't rub at all.

sirhk100-
no problem, any day of the week, you let me know by e-mail and I'll meet you somewhere. I drive it everyday so whenever you want to drive yours up here let me know.

Back