I want answers to the APIM. Please? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want answers to the APIM. Please?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
So this is more directed at Ford than anything else. Knowing my warranty is going to expire in 6 months, I know the warranty has been extended to 5 years FOR the APIM. Still, Ford, you haven't been straight forward about anything thus far about MFT and what's causing the issues. I'm pretty sure, not only Ford Explorer owners but ALL owners with MFT want answers.

What is causing all the issues? APIM bad design? Bad software? Use of Flash Lite? What is it? As a customer, I would like to know, because I should know what I put my money into, and if it's giving me problems causing me to miss work, lose productivity, or even prevent me from having a good family trip. Then please, at least tell me why me, and so many other customers that believe in Ford, have to go without answers?

I've had two APIM replacements. My MFT is up date. Although, I just received a vca_app.exe serious error last week! My SYNC stopped working and I could make any calls while driving.

I'm sure if Ford was straight forward and honest, we wouldn't be so pissed about MFT. It's not like we're dating and you're telling me something that serious like you cheated on me or something. I just want answers. Unless if you tell me, "Yeah we're a giant automobile company but sorry, MFT will never be fully fixed, it's broken" then I'd be super pissed. It also seems that way too.

I hope I get some answers from someone in Ford. It'd be really... really nice. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a couple posts on here (search APIM, MFT, etc) that describe the story of how the MSFT Windows Automotive OS was in dev. for a newer Ford version for their newer 2008 and up models, and then at some point Ford took it in house, switching devs mid way, then that didnt work, big mess,
then Ford got back together with MSFT, who had to fix it in stages to get it to where it is now.

The Windows Auto OS has been around a long time and is a major component in many car manufacturers.
It is generally very stable and forms the underpinnings of many models of cars, American, Euro, and Asian.

If these stories of industrial intrigue are true in Fords case, they need another revision or 2 to arrive at a solid platform, unfortunately.

Windows Embedded Automotive

Ford Sync

It would seem that Ford should really apply resources and $$ to it though, since the tech is a major selling point in all Ford cars.

Having said that the new summer promo's playing now on TV in the NE are mentioning by name the hi gas mileage Focus and smaller cars, no mention of the Ex, & only a quick mention of tech.
The commercial is also all CG, which is strange since Ford cars and trucks and colors, look great.
Why use CG? and its a long commercial...

good luck!

Fat chance, and Good Luck getting the answers from Ford. They don't use the slogan "At Ford Quality is Job 1" anymore and it shows......"FORD: Fix Or Repair Dailey" pretty much describes the MFT/Sync situation and should be the new/old slogan....The answer you seek would probably read something like Dear Mr.......: There is nothing wrong with the MFT/Sync system. Any difficulties you may be experiencing are surely due to Sun Spots. Thanks for your Inquiery, Sincerely Team MFT

There are a couple posts on here (search APIM, MFT, etc) that describe the story of how the MSFT Windows Automotive OS was in dev. for a newer Ford version for their newer 2008 and up models, and then at some point Ford took it in house, switching devs mid way, then that didnt work, big mess,
then Ford got back together with MSFT, who had to fix it in stages to get it to where it is now.

The Windows Auto OS has been around a long time and is a major component in many car manufacturers.
It is generally very stable and forms the underpinnings of many models of cars, American, Euro, and Asian.

If these stories of industrial intrigue are true in Fords case, they need another revision or 2 to arrive at a solid platform, unfortunately.

Windows Embedded Automotive

Ford Sync

It would seem that Ford should really apply resources and $$ to it though, since the tech is a major selling point in all Ford cars.

Having said that the new summer promo's playing now on TV in the NE are mentioning by name the hi gas mileage Focus and smaller cars, no mention of the Ex, & only a quick mention of tech.
The commercial is also all CG, which is strange since Ford cars and trucks and colors, look great.
Why use CG? and its a long commercial...

good luck!

As for the costs, you would think Ford as a global manufacturer would not let the problems of MFT plague their sales... It feels like they haven't made a true fix for all the cars.

As for the CG, what is with that? It looks ugly and stupid. Like that one Explorer that's going on the road and turns fake as heck. I mean if it was good CG, I wouldn't mind. It just feels like Ford is starting to fake things. I'm happy about the warranty extension at least, but it doesn't change squat if Ford is not going to apply a permanent fix.

Back