I want lighting ideas and suggestions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want lighting ideas and suggestions.

Hey everyone. I've got a James Duff prerunner bumper on which I've been running some 100W walmart driving lights (which I've been somewhat impressed with except for the mounts) and also a couple different sets of small fog lights between the tubes. Both sets of lights on 3 way switches to be on-off-on with hi (or low). Now I've been through 2 sets of these little fogs, first Hella Optilux, which I thought would be good, the reflector coating rusted out. 2nd, a cheap set which I broke in an accident. Both performed about the same. I like the looks though.

1303harlan_driving_2.jpg

I decided what I want to revamp, and the first thing I decided to do was upgrade the headlight harness and order so 55/100 bulbs. So that is done. That should take car of needing driving lights, but I also have the walmart ones, which look and work pretty good, for use somewhere if I want. What I really can't decide on is a set of fogs. I want a nice set, and I can either put them down between the tubes again (or below the tubes), or put them in place of the walmart driving lights. I like the idea of big Hella 500s up there, but the placement is not so ideal for fog lights. So do you guys think I should get some smaller ones and go with the same look I have now, or should I get some big ones to replace the driving lights. In either case, make a recommendation. Oh yeah, I want some thing that is nice and solid mounting too.

lavee the setup as pictureed but walmart has some round blue fogs, about 3" in diameter (they might even be the one with the colored ring around them). i would add those to the bumper on the near the lower inside corner of the parking lamps, so you would have the 2 hells up front 2 smaler fogs off a little to the side and down some (might want to position them better for beign fogs and all) plus your 2 little ones off to the side.

also, ever thought of tying your little ones into the blinkers?

I was thinking about that actually, I could fit a little bigger fog in that area right below the parking lights. The little ones in the picture are gone now though, broke them when I rear ended a Saab. I'll have at most 2 sets, one fog and one driving.

I think wiring a fog into a blinker would confuse people. Even those little ones are bright, people would just think the light was tweeking I think.

...probably right about the blinker idea, plus it would draw cops in like mad.

i think you should go for my idea, and although i usualy think those little ones look gay, they looked pretty interesting on your truck. i would replace them but maybe with some clue rectangle ones that they have at walmart (i think like 2"x4") i have paid 300 for a set of fogs before but they were no better than a $30 set...in fact, i'd say the cheaper ones are better!

i like lots of lights, so i probably would be mad for 3 sets....since you want to keep it under 2, wither the 3" blue ones on top or the rectangle one down in the bumper would work...the rect ones would probably work better.

Keep the driving lights & use PIAA 1400 or Catz MSX as the fogs. The MSX is a wider narrower fog beam than the 1400s, more defined.
The MSX is one of my favorite lights. Especially when equiped with a PIAA 85/135 super white bulb. It directs the light on the road & sides and you dont get flashed.

Back