I want to put a T5 Tranny in

Blaine122300

Elite Non explorer owner
Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Land Rover Disco
I know my A4LD is pretty close to its last leg. It has 150K miles on it, and has never been rebuilt or anything. I really want a manual tranny, and only want a T5. I know a lot of mustangs have them, and have heard nothing but good things about them. I'm sure getting one would be cheaper than rebuilding mine. What would I need to adapt the T5 to my V6? I love my engine and do not want to put in a V8.

Just for fun too, how steardy are the Mazda 5 speeds? I'm sure it would be a lot easier to hook up one of those than the T5. It would probably just bolt up, huh?

Any tips or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick question: how many speeds is the T-5? 5-speed? Which one is the 4-speed?

snocross1985 said:
Quick question: how many speeds is the T-5? 5-speed? Which one is the 4-speed?
T-5 = 5 speed. T-4 = 4 speed. Ford tried to keep it simple I guess.

The 5th gear on the T-5 is like 1 to .63, which is real good for highway driving.

4th on the T-4 is 1 to 1, so not so good at higher speeds.
I like my overdrive right now, so I would not want to loose that. Especially with gas the way it is now.

before you decide on a tranny you need to look at one more thing........the rear and if 4x4 the front diff gear ratio alot of people dont know that the ratio in the differential is just as important as the ratio in the tranny ie too high tranny gears and too low diff = lots of power to the wheels and hgh rpm and very poor gas milage and just the opposite=no power slow acceleration

The T-5 and so forth are not ford transmissions they are Tremac Transmissions which Ford used in there vehicles. This five-speed transmission was developed for a broad range of vehicle applications from passenger car to compact sport utility vehicle (SUV) requirements. Currently, the TREMEC T-5 is being used on various passenger car and light truck applications such as the Ford Mustang, TVR Cerbera and Tuscan, Chevy Blazer and S-10 Pickup, and Ssangyong Musso and Korando.

There website is pretty cool, makes you drool over the T-56 that's the 6 speed that can be found in the SVT cobra, ZO6, Viper, and DB8.

http://www.tremec.com/English/products/T-5.asp

Cool, what's peoples opinions on the Mazda 5 speed? That should bolt right up. Is it stout enough to handle moderate to heavy off roading? Is there many upgrades for it? If I get a Mazda 5 speed, I will more than likely by a used one and rebuild it, if it hasn't been already. I kinda like the idea of getting something that will bolt right up and handle what I throw at it.

Oh yeah, my diff gears in my 4x4 are 4.56's

It should bolt up but, I'm honestly not sure if there would be any computer things to look at (there are some sensors on the 5speed). I have the mazda 5 speed...it's better than the a4ld but i did have a gear explode in mine (55 cruise control on flat highway)....sucked. I still like it a hell of a lot more than an auto though, it's geared lower too :). Here's a page on trs that describes the swap. It's for a mitsubishi swap but it should be similar? Anyway good luck!!

CP

Kits are made, you'll need:
1) Engine to trans via bellhousing. This is the tough part. I remember seeing a custom bellhousing availible online, so use google to find it.
2) Hydrualic clutch, as the Explorer pedal assembly is hydrualic but the mustangs use a cable. http://www.autoworks.cc/65-70 ford_hydraulic_clutch_kits.htm
3) Transmission to t-case. http://www.advanceadapters.com/catalog/053.html

Also, check out this link, he made his own bellhousing.
http://rogueperformance.com/t5install.html

Thanks for the help. I am leaning more toward the Mazda 5 speed now. The T-5 seems too involved. I think I would rather put in something that was originally designed to hook up to the 4.0L and the BW 1354 T/C. I think I would want to find an explorer or ranger with a manual tranny for real cheap and put in the 5 speed. I am one of those people that want to keep it simple and functional.
If anyone has some tips on swapping from an A4LD to a mazda 5 speed, please let me know, or send me a link.

Thank you,

Andy

Last time I looked, James Duff was also working on a conversion to put a T-5 behind a 4.0L, you might want to see if they have it ready yet... They propably have a kit to make it easy. I know I've seen a write up on this site somewhere on how to put the Mazda tranny in. Try doing a search for it, or maybe somebody has the link?

Back