I want to supercharge my 5.0 Exploder! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to supercharge my 5.0 Exploder!

I think 8-10lbs of boost would get you that to the crank, not the wheels..................

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think 8-10lbs of boost would get you that to the crank, not the wheels..................

I'd guess that kind of boost would make 350-400hp at the crank depending on the blower and tune. But the loss through the transmission, TC, and exhaust is likely 75hp. The lost horsepower is a big number in these trucks, mainly due to the exhaust.

I'd guess that kind of boost would make 350-400hp at the crank depending on the blower and tune. But the loss through the transmission, TC, and exhaust is likely 75hp. The lost horsepower is a big number in these trucks, mainly due to the exhaust.
No tune. BONE stock.

No tune. BONE stock.

You can't do anything to these trucks without a tune. Trivial stuff is no big deal, a blower or any major changes like heads, camshaft, exhaust, those have to have a tune. So saying bone stock is meaningless, that's mean do nothing and be happy with that.

You can't do anything to these trucks without a tune. Trivial stuff is no big deal, a blower or any major changes like heads, camshaft, exhaust, those have to have a tune. So saying bone stock is meaningless, that's mean do nothing and be happy with that.
I’m well aware you‘d need a tune. That’s my point. You aren’t getting that power just by slapping a blower on it. I think you’d struggle to get that to the tire through the factory manifolds.

It's like my old friend dirty Jack says
How fast you want to go is how much you want to spend ..lol

Jack recently passed from liver failure due to drinking
I'll miss him he is who showed me how to go fast on anything

Does this mean you don’t need to upgrade injectors either? Got my hands on an Eaton m112 and have been looking all day on if yes or no to that
Bone stock , I'm almost 100 percent. ...hang on....getting some info

Let be very clear here.... BONE stock engine parts. Of course it has to be tuned.
Need a.fuel pump also.

I was ready to pull the trigger on an Explorer Express Xcharger for my 5.0... Then I discovered that they have been out of business for 15 or 20 years and the website was apparently a ghost from the past :(

I've searched high and low and I can't see to find any kits available for them at all. Is there anyone else making a kit for the old 5.0 explorers anymore?

Someone please help me spend money on my old exploder!!!
I was ready to pull the trigger on an Explorer Express Xcharger for my 5.0... Then I discovered that they have been out of business for 15 or 20 years and the website was apparently a ghost from the past :(

I've searched high and low and I can't see to find any kits available for them at all. Is there anyone else making a kit for the old 5.0 explorers anymore?

Someone please help me spend money on my old exploder!!!
I actually have one if your still interested

I actually have one if your still interested

That EE supercharger is an Eaton 1.5 liter based system. It will only make mild boost which is why the many XP8's showed to have just 275hp, it's a small blower on a 5.0 engine. That should be worth $1500 or so depending on its condition, and is not hard to tune the engine for(PCM tuning).

But the best path for an almost bolt on supercharger for the Explorer 302, is a 1994/95 Mustang Kenne Bell kit. Those came with the much larger 2.2 liter KB units, though I've seen a very early one with a smaller size. That one has been installed before by a prior member or two here. That should definitely be tuned to correct the A/F ratio and timing, and it can easily make 10-12psi. But the IAT's go up as you push that boost, so having to inject meth/H2O should be expected.

BTW I still have a new bare 2.2 KB with no snout, I'm about to list it for $2k this Spring. If you can find the rest of a used Mustang SN95 Kenne Bell kit, ....

Adapt a kit:

The Fox Mustang supercharger kits will all be very difficult to adapt to an Explorer 302, the belt location is far forward(maybe near 2") compared to the Explorer. The SN95 Mustang kits would all be far easier, the belt is only off by about 3/8" or less. I know the Fox Mustang stuff was way more common, but the very few SN95 choices are the closest to being minor trouble to install on an Explorer.

The 2.1 Fox KB kit is now available new again, that could be usable if the front snout is feasible to swap out.

The Fox Mustang supercharger kits will all be very difficult to adapt to an Explorer 302, the belt location is far forward(maybe near 2") compared to the Explorer. The SN95 Mustang kits would all be far easier, the belt is only off by about 3/8" or less. I know the Fox Mustang stuff was way more common, but the very few SN95 choices are the closest to being minor trouble to install on an Explorer.

The 2.1 Fox KB kit is now available new again, that could be usable if the front snout is feasible to swap out.
Good luck finding that kit! I searched and would be very interested to see the build with the 95 kit. I got very lucky finding the F150/Bronco kit and have had the owner call email me back to see if I was using it, he wanted it back.

The pulley, being off by 3/8" is more of an issue than being over length. If the Fox Body kit is about 2" out in front, that's enough to be in front of the accessories and run a second crank pulley like I have done. My rig has roughly 4" in between the front of the water pump pulley and radiator. There is room for that pulley and lately, I found a thin-line flex fan that also fits in that space.
shroud-7.jpg

Fan1.jpg

I think the Fox Body kit could be viable, but I am not going to do all the research......................
Here is my epic build with mistakes and improvements along the way: Will Be Blown Again!

If one searches freguently, used kits do come-up once in a while. That used Paxton kit I posted looks interesting.

I don't recall the name of his thread he made for that KB he installed. Below is the one picture I saved from it, and try his name Tim Beek, for a search too. He sold the truck as I recall, and didn't post a lot of results after he got it running.
Explorer KB blower TimBeek.jpg

Back