I went Ballistic over my Optima... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I went Ballistic over my Optima...

turned out great Ted! that is weird that we both did this on the same weekend with the same box!

100_1203.jpg

Instead of grinding away at the factory tray (which after a few secs I decided I wasnt going to attempt to take out) I just cut the 4 outside tabs away. The box is secured with the middle bolt holes using grade 8 5'16" bolts with indented washers and nuts. I was amazed at how sturdy this box held the battery. I especially like the side tabs that slide into the optima casing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

....I like the idea that the battery is not going to go anywhere ...:D

...:shifty_ey ...I really don't want to be in the truck with an impact hard enough to relocate my battery now...

...It's funny as the 2 common reply's I get when people see it...Half are all into the Laser cutting and the other half grab it and try to wiggle it...

...I also just added a similar box for the Canadian's in the first post...;)

i had it hanging from a tree limb with the paint drying and my dad walks by and goes 'what is that.. some kind of sculpture?', i couldnt help but laugh.

out of 7 optimas i've had only 1 ever 'died', as you can see in the pic the one im running in my red explorer is from 07, i pulled it out of a customers suburban, his system was draining the battery below 10V which when tested at work brings up 'bad battery', charged it for a few days on 2a and it was good as new. bought it as a 'used' battery. I think the oldest one I have is a yellow top from 03, still starts a vehicle.

...For those looking to cut the tabs off, what did you use, a grinder or ???

...I just got to thinking...

...:scratch:...This would be a great hold down for those looking to add a second battery...Being that it will mount about anywhere and it, and the Optima's size, makes it easier to stuff in small area's...:D

...I just got to thinking...

...:scratch:...This would be a great hold down for those looking to add a second battery...Being that it will mount about anywhere and it, and the Optima's size, makes it easier to stuff in small area's...:D

This is exactly how I am planning to add my second battery - in the bed.

...The Explorer finally gets one of it's own...
paint_007.jpg

...Just a heads up for anyone wanting a Ballistic Battery box for a Optima 34/78 like I have in my trucks...They now consider it version 1 and are closing them out..(I need to update the pic in the first post as they have changed it..:rolleyes:)

...When I originally bought mine it was $39 plus $12 shipping...

From their site
...There new revision II box list for 36.99 plus $10 shipping and they mention the Revision I..
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Ballistic-3478-Optima-Battery-Box-Revision-II_p_1624.html
We still have Revision I boxes in stock at a discounted price of $34.99.
..And of course add shipping at $10 but you have to call it in to order it as they don't have a link to it now, But...

Ebay
But while I was searching their site this morning and while going thru their clearance items, they have them listed on Ebay for $29 bucks plus $13.62 shipping...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

..I'm not sure if they are new/seconds/ or what but I scored one as they showed 8 left..Now there are 7 with 13 days left...:p:

..Just thought I would share...:salute:

...Just a heads up for anyone wanting a Ballistic Battery box for a Optima 34/78 like I have in my trucks...They now consider it version 1 and are closing them out..(I need to update the pic in the first post as they have changed it..:rolleyes:)

...When I originally bought mine it was $39 plus $12 shipping...

From their site
...There new revision II box list for 36.99 plus $10 shipping and they mention the Revision I..
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Ballistic-3478-Optima-Battery-Box-Revision-II_p_1624.html

..And of course add shipping at $10 but you have to call it in to order it as they don't have a link to it now, But...

Ebay
But while I was searching their site this morning and while going thru their clearance items, they have them listed on Ebay for $29 bucks plus $13.62 shipping...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

..I'm not sure if they are new/seconds/ or what but I scored one as they showed 8 left..Now there are 7 with 13 days left...:p:

..Just thought I would share...:salute:

thank you...but I like my big zip tie for now:p:

Remember to the shipping charge varies depending on where you live too . Since they are not flat rate shipping these.

shows 17.12 to ship one to Kansas :(

.. Was that their site or Ebay? You might also use code "pirate" for a 10 percent discou
Posted via Mobile Device

it was on Ebay.

...Cyber, did you buy 1?..

...It shows they still have seven...

Negative Ghost Rider

Pockets is empty right now for something like that.:(

Back