• Register Today It's free!

IAC valve complaint to Ford

fgump

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I sent an email to Ford last week, regarding the IAC valve failure rate we seem to be experiencing. Following you will find their response, as well as my initial submission.

Enjoy!

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your message of 07/14/01 regarding your 2000 Ford
Explorer. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us regarding
the idle air control valve concern with your vehicle.

Bill, we regret the circumstances that prompted you to contact us.

We thank you for taking the time to let us know about your frustration
with the situation surrounding the concern with the idle air control
valve on your vehicle. We pride ourselves on becoming the world's
leading consumer company for automotive products and services, and the
satisfaction of our customers is one of our highest priorities. We
appreciate your concerns and have documented them for future reference.

We have checked for recalls or Owner Notification Programs (ONPs) on
your 2000 Ford Explorer with Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
1FMZU73E1YZA-----. Regrettably, there were no programs or bulletins
relating to the idle air control valve.

Ford Motor Company appreciates hearing from our customers, especially
when customers provide us with valuable product suggestions. We have
forwarded your comments to the Engineering and Design Team for future
reference.

Bill, we value you as our customer and we wish you continued
satisfaction with your vehicle.

If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact
us and we will be happy to address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Winston
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Vehicle Problems

VIN: 1FMZU73E1YZA-----
Odometer reading: 42350
Servicing dealership: Crossroads Ford
Comments/Inquiry: I own a 2000 Explorer XLT 4x4 with the 4.0L SOHC
engine and auto transmission. At 38,000 miles, the Idle Air Control
valve on my Explorer froze, causing a no-idle condition. Just last
week, I encountered another owner with a 2001 Explorer Sport, 4.0L SOHC,
with 37,000 miles, whose idle air control valve had frozen up. The
website www.ultimateexplorations.com is full of Explorer owners who have
had problems with their idle air control valves. I hear that the
average cost to have this repaired at a Ford dealership is around $200,
for a 5-minute job and a $60 part.

This seems like a problem to me. Is Ford looking into why so many idle
air control valves are causing so much trouble, right after the 3/36
warranty period? Just curious.

Thank you,
Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds like a great idea...if I could help mobilize everyone here who's had the problem so far, that would help our cause tremendously.

Alright everyone, per JDraper's suggestion, if you've had issues with the IAC valve on your Explorer, please let NHTSA know. Perhaps we can get some sort of compensation for our inconveniences in the past. I mean, I really talked to a guy who told me the local Ford dealer was going to charge $200 JUST TO REPLACE THE IAC VALVE!! That, my friends, is highway robbery. The part takes MAX 10 minutes to replace, and costs MAX $70.

Thanks all.

Bill

It did not happen on the Explorer, but did happen to my son's 95 Ranger. And I will tell you one thing, IT IS A SAFETY HAZARD. Especially on an auto tranny. With a stick you can play the heel-toe 3-foot game and keep it going. With the help of you guys, I was able to diagnose and fix myself. Like fgump said, 10 minutes to do and $70 part (I was able to find Dealer-only). Advance could order one for @$50, but when you need one, you need it now. Cleaning will buy time, b/c it is usually the sensor that gives up. Also, interestingly the replacement part is much better quality, kinda like the sway bar links I had to replace, only to have a recall 3 months later. The IAC presented a much higher safety/driveablility risk than the broke link.
I will keep my receipt and old part and wait for the recall.

i may have a related problem here...what are the symptoms guys?

here's how mine went. One day. suddenly, the truck was hard to start..won't catch unless you pump the gas vigoursly, and keep your foot on it. Even then it was VERY rough idle until full warm up, then poof..it went away. a few days later it happened again. I went out to the Ranger forum and was pointed to the IAC. I checked the Haynes, found it, removed it cleaned it as recommended. This just bought time, about a week. One day my son calls me and says it did it all the way home from school, nearly causing an accident. I called around looking for one and ended up at the dealshit (see above post). oh , the truck had about 65k on it. If I had to do it again, I would remove the throttle body and clean it, replace/clean the IAC, and replace the TPS. The TPS is a little harder to get to on the Ranger, the IAC and TPS sit on the back end of the TB and the TPS screws in and there is not enuff rome to get to it.

Oh, it did NOT cause the PCM to throw a code and lite up the CEL.

mine was replaced at 35,000 (phew). i'll be happy to send a letter or whatever you wanna do....

link to NHTSA complaint form

Okay, folks. There was an earlier recommendation to file a complaint with NHTSA on this, so here's the link I followed to submit a complaint. It took me about 4-5 minutes, but I think it was worth it. If enough of us do this, maybe, just maybe, Ford will look into it. Worth a shot, nonetheless. Thanks for your support on this!!

Dead Link Removed

Bill

'00 XLT 4.0L SOHC 4x4, bone stock, except for my new LTX M/S's!

Another failure!!

A coworker's XLT has a buzzing IAC, that the dealer wants $278 to replace!! This has got to stop! Please, let's try to get this thing recalled before someone gets hurt out there!

Thanks,

Bill

'00 XLT SOHC 4x4

OK, mine is sent.

I filed a complaint with NHTSA today at the above link. Please, if you have or have had a problem with your IAC, fill out the form. It's only a few minutes. Maybe we can get some resolution, or at least acknowledgement.

iac instructions

could someone please post the instructions on how to replace it
i was nailed for $200 to replace some o rings on the intake the parts were only $6 it didnt help the cold idle problem now that dealer says its the iac but i moved 2 hours away from the dealership and would rather but the part and install it then drive 2 hours and leave it over night thanks

What year and what engine in your Explorer?

answer to above

98 sport

Which engine? If you have the SOHC V6 and the intake o-rings that you are talking about that you paid $200 to have Ford replace are the lower intake manifold o-rings, you can get your $200 back. Leaking lower intake manifold o-rings can cause a rough idle and eventually a check engine light. Ford extended the warranty on them last November to 6 years/75K miles. If you paid to have them replaced before the extended warranty was announced, Ford will re-imburse you.

The IAC valve should be an easy swap. There is an o-ring between it and the manifold so if the new one doesn't include it, you might want to pick one up. From what I remember of mine, there are just a few small bolts holding it to the top of the manifold. You will need to remove the black plastic cover from the top of the engine if you have the SOHC.

Got mine back from the dealer today. It died at 33K miles, so warranty picked it up.

$61.77 for the IAC valve, and 0.2 hours labor=$11.07, plus no *&#$@ charge to Ford for "Shop Supplies"

Also had them replace the Multifunction Switch because the wipers were turning themselves on when they felt the urge.

$32.21 for the part, 0.6 hours labor=$33.06

$138.11 billed to Ford, wonder what that would have cost if it was on my nickel?

BTW, The service manager told me that the IAC valve was often on back order. They must be replacing lots of them.

Service Bulletin

The wiper thing had a service bulletin a while back. Mine did the dame thing, and they replaced it for free. I actually took it in the day the service bulletin was released. When I got my IAAC valve repalced, it was the only one left. Both other Ford dealerships were out, and all the Autozone shops in the city were out. Actually, Autozone told me they couldn't order me one because the maufacturer was out of them... Hmmmm.

I went to ford to buy an IAC valve yesterday because my truck would idle rough or not at all sometimes. the nice parts guy I had told me they get gummed up easially and to just blast the carp out of it with some carb or TB cleaner. I must say he was right because now it idles VBERY smooth and it actually doesn't idle at 1,100 RPM at a stop light. now it's at about 800 RPM. He said if you remove the IAC you must replace the gasket too, so I bought one of those (my truck didn't come with a gasket installed......that may be part of the bad idle) Anyway..just a hint.

Back