Idea For V8 Headers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idea For V8 Headers

Back when I was building my 347 I tried those and if you want to waste your money go right ahead. They are not close enough to even get a starting point. You will not be able to get them in there --

You are much better off starting from scratch or buying what is already available.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I talked to the company that makes the second set I posted (http://bit.ly/Pndx3I) and got the measurements and they should work with minimal mods. They guy also told me if some one did get a set and they didn't work at all they would take them back with refund.

I'm sure Jon is right in that nothing will be really close, all of them will require a lot of work. Figure on removing the collector in a way that you can cut it off and reuse it, moved etc. The left two rear primaries surely will have to be cut off and reshaped.

The best you can hope for is that only one or two pipes from each side will need rebuilding. Cut them off and use other piping to run them around the steering shaft etc.

Ford did a fine job placing the frame and suspension in the path of headers. Then they stuck the steering shaft right down the throat of the #7 cylinder outlet space.

I do have a tip for you. Make darned sure while building the headers, the spark plugs are installed with a socket and extension (or ratchet) on each plug. It is easy to get ahead of yourself and leave no way to get the plugs changed.

I do have a tip for you. Make darned sure while building the headers, the spark plugs are installed with a socket and extension (or ratchet) on each plug. It is easy to get ahead of yourself and leave no way to get the plugs changed.

LOL, that's a good first step. My worst thought is to get something made, and then it cannot be removed. Yank the engine just to swap headers, bad idea.

Here's what most aftermarket headers could look like after you cut away all of the pipes that interfere in some way. Then you have to figure out how to reroute the pipes around everything in a new way.:(

Attachments

• P7.jpg
    P7.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,705
  • P6.jpg
    P6.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 901

Now why can't we use a different style engine mount that would give more room?

I'm thinking early mustang style they would give much more clearance.

Possible, there's not much room to move things. But the bracket and/or the mount might be worth trying to get them trimmed or farther inboard. Take a look at it at at least, good thought.

Possible, there's not much room to move things. But the bracket and/or the mount might be worth trying to get them trimmed or farther inboard. Take a look at it at at least, good thought.

I think I can get a set of early mustang mounts to work and it would give a significant amount of room. I'll dig threw my parts and see what I can come up with, push come to shove I could just build some I have extensive experience at that. I've built many to do a 5.0 in a 80's Toyota supra.

Thanks to all that have commented on this subject. I have decided a set of hedman headers. Part number 88400. I am going to try cutting them up to see what need to be done to make it work. I will post some pictures when get started.

Thanks to all that have commented on this subject. I have decided a set of hedman headers. Part number 88400. I am going to try cutting them up to see what need to be done to make it work. I will post some pictures when get started.

Yes keep us updated I'm going to change out my mounts and see what that dose for room, I'm thinking with the thinner steering shaft and early mustang mounts the headers will fit.

Now I talked to a guy who did a 351 swap and used lightning headers.

The 351 engine is taller than the 302, and it has been said that headers may be easier to fit for the taller engine. It seems that the 351 has more room above the frame etc, for the pipes. The difference in deck height is 1.52", close to 3/4" higher and wider.

The 351 engine is taller than the 302, and it has been said that headers may be easier to fit for the taller engine. It seems that the 351 has more room above the frame etc, for the pipes. The difference in deck height is 1.52", close to 3/4" higher and wider.

Yeah I know that but I figured the wider would make it harder to fit, but I'm working on an engine mount mod that I think will help. Once I get it done ill do a thread on it.

I hope you do have success with finding some extra room with the engine mounts/brackets. Every small amount will help a lot.

I was reading "Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap" and member seth247 used the Headman 88400 on his and they fit perfect except for the passenger side firewall needed massaging and (I imagine) modifications to the down pipes...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224362&page=45

Been thinking of going this route also. BUT, the best I've been able to find (fitment wise) with 1 5/8 primaries are the Ford Racing M-9430-SR302 Block Hugger Hot Rod headers.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.co...LEARANCE_STREET_ROD_HEADER_p/m-9430-sr302.htm

I

Before Kooks moved to North Carolina they used to be located on Long Island and I wanted to go down there and pick their brains about how much it would be to make a custom set but I couldn't get down there prior to their move. Only option locally for me now is ARH. Not sure how much they'd charge either, but they do a ton of custom work.

Before Kooks moved to North Carolina they used to be located on Long Island and I wanted to go down there and pick their brains about how much it would be to make a custom set but I couldn't get down there prior to their move. Only option locally for me now is ARH. Not sure how much they'd charge either, but they do a ton of custom work.

Find United Exhaust there in NY, see if they can suggest a place to make something. I say that because I know they make some special tail pipes for odd cars. Maybe they could do something, or suggest something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back