• Register Today It's free!

Idle too fast ?

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I've noticed my 2001 V-6 XLT (with 78K miles) has a high idle after its warmed up. It seems to have started after the cruise control recall was installed, but I'm not saying its related.

In addition to to the high idle, I notice that the temp gage is running hotter than normal, yet still within the 'safe range'. I seem to recall reading about a bad thermostat causing a higher idle. What are some other items that a novice like me can check ?

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your IAC. Often that lill beastie causes high idle speeds.

I recently replaced mine to correct a high idle issue.

Good luck ....

vacum leak after the throttle body can cause a high idle condition.

Real novice here ............. can you point me to a picture showing the throttle body ?

I kinda hope its a vaccuum leak because I've also got the problem where the air switches from the dash vents to the defrost vents under load, which I'm told is a vaccuum leak issue. So maybe I can solve 2 problems with one fix.

Dave

it's not a vacuum leak in the throttle body it is a vacuum leak in one of the many lines after the throttle body. If your dash vents are leaking then I would start there. Fixing that could fix your idle problem. you will need to check the vacuum lines that run the vent selector behind the dash. also visually check all the vacuum lines under the hood as well. Sometimes these things are not easy to find.

It was a bad thermostat.

Its nice to have it running properly again .

Now, if we could just figure out the vacuum issue causing my air flow to get diverted from the dash vents to the defroster .........

Dave

Back