If you wash your hands, you can touch it! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you wash your hands, you can touch it!

dude i bought a gear box and it only cost me 100 dollars and it was a rebuit one like yours.

Thats spectacular, good find. If I'd wanted to spend my money on a stock gearbox, I would have. Instead, I spent my money on an aftermarket gearbox. My Explorer is not on 22s, its on 15s that are mounted to 35s, so chances are my pump and box will be put under a little more pressure than yours.

I went by Autozone today to pick my pump up, only to find that it was not there. When the salesman went to check its status, there was no tracking number or anything in the computer. So he ordered another one and asked me to come back by Thursday. So hopefully Saturday or Sunday I can get everything buttoned up and take it for a spin. Oh please oh please oh please......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Poo

STILL no go with Autozone. The pump the manager re-ordered never came, and it should have been there today. So, being as patient as I am, I will wait a couple more days and see what transpires. Its a good thing I didn't need it right away! At least I have plenty of other things to work on...

On a good note, I did go and buy a 20 gal. parts washer today:D And since I was in town, I stopped by Autozone again, but I don't think I need to specify how that turned out. Very eager to get my washer put together, though now that I have part of my front end taken apart, I may start disassembling the engine to clean out some gunk. Not sure where the disassembling will end though......:rolleyes:

I wish you well with that AGR pump, I understand it being better.

FYI, I bought a rebuilt pump for my 72 Ranchero almost 20 years ago. I learned that the best pumps to have were the Saginaw units which are stock in older Mustangs, Iroc Z's back then, Trans Ams, etc. The Saginaw was then the hgih performance choice, all NASCAR cars have them. They are better to start with, and easily built by many companies. You can select gear ratios, effort, and total travel(stops).

I don't know if any of the Saginaw pumps will fit in place for 1st gen. Explorers, but any builder could tell you. This is for anyone who is also looking for a better than stock power steering pump. You can tell them from regular boxes by the cover bolts. See in the picture above, there are only two bolts? The Saginaw pumps all have four bolts on their covers. Regards,

ohhhh ohhh parts monkey ohhhh ohhh an the answer is auto zone !!!!
ok i go their also when i have to :) ohhhhhh

I try to go wherever I can find the part the cheapest:cool:

I thought first gens along with all truck/SUV's fro 1980-1996 had a signaw pump. Maybe I'm way off:rolleyes:

In the old Fords the two choices were interchangeable. If these are Saginaw pumps then they are great to begin with, and lots of places can modify them(not rebuild, modify). I didn't pay high dollar for a rebuilt PS box.

It has arrived!

Finally had the chance to check back with Autozone this morning, and I was told my pump was there:D So I went and picked it up, got my stock pump and bracket removed, and thats where I am now.

Now I just need to get everything put back in so I can measure for a new steering shaft and I will be finished with the steering. Heres a shot of the new pump:

Attachments

• 0705071259.jpg
    0705071259.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 165

Those are also excellent pumps, a standard of old GM cars for decades. It may also be a Saginaw pump, I forgot what they are called.

I've already got a transmission cooler with a fan installed, and obviously a fan would help, but how useful would a fan be on the steering cooler?

Oh and my pump should be here today:confused:

My system didn't like working through a big fan cooled PS cooler. I swapped it out for a much smaller Howe unit and it's been working great.

I was considering just getting a cooler about the size of the ones I am using for my transmission. How big is your unit Rick?

The transmission cooler of course:p:

I'm curious too -- gonna have to cut the cooler if it causes any probs.

Back