IFS Heavy Duty Upgrades! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IFS Heavy Duty Upgrades!

Those will work great. Those are made to be silent and help with the IFS "Wobble" from front and back pressures on the suspension. Pretty much makes the suspension tighter.

Those are what I would get for my rig.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those will work great. Those are made to be silent and help with the IFS "Wobble" from front and back pressures on the suspension. Pretty much makes the suspension tighter.

Those are what I would get for my rig.

excellent, thanks for the help!

I'm gonna bump this thread, partially because I'm curious what the difference is between 401-1748 and 401-1689 outer tie-rods.

401-1689 is the listed part number for my '97. 401-1748 is the listed part number for a '98.

Oddly, Rockauto has 401-1689 has listed applications as 95-97 Explorers and 97-01 Mounties.

401-1748 has listed applications as being 98-05 Explorers, 02-03 Mounties, plus Rangers.

I didn't think there were any steering redesigns between 97-98 :scratch:

Although looking at the pictures on both Raybestos and Rockauto's websites, it looks like the boot isn't sealed onto the tierod on 401-1748, whereas it is on 401-1689.

confusing, confusing.

also

Another HD Pro grade upgrade is the Lower control arms. They have a bigger ID hole for a larger HD ball joint. These also come with new bushings, and a new ball joint already installed. Very good price from Rockauto.com. Considering the cost of a HD ball joint + new bushings + shipping, the control arm is almost a freebie.

Raybestos part #5071143 & 5071144
getimage.php

getimage.php

it appears the Napa Chassis Parts lower control arms, NCP 2605318 and NCP 2605317 are these Raybestos parts. Bet I can tell, anyway. The photos used on Napa's website are the same exact photos Raybestos uses on their site. The only thing the description on Napa's site doesn't mention is that they use oversized/non-OE balljoints, so I'm not 100% positive.
But doing a part interchange search with the Raybestos part numbers brings up these NCP part numbers.

getimage.php

getimage.php

I cant tell any real differences in either of them. There might be a length difference. I would stick to the year listed for yours.

As for the LCA inquiry ....Napa, Raybestos, McQuay Norris, and Spicer chassis parts are all made by the same manufacturer.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/g...http://info.rockauto.com/Spicer/4011689-4.jpg

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/g...http://info.rockauto.com/Spicer/4011748-4.jpg

I cant tell any real differences in either of them. There might be a length difference. I would stick to the year listed for yours.

As for the LCA inquiry ....Napa, Raybestos, McQuay Norris, and Spicer chassis parts are all made by the same manufacturer.

yeah, there don't appear to be any differences, plus both years use the same inner. Odd.

As for LCA, I understand that. I also just noticed that Raybestos only offers the "pro grade" LCA. Standard grade is BJ only.

I would have ordered from Rockauto, but they will only ship the LCA's and inner/outer tierods via UPS/FedEx to Alaska; which means over $50/ea shipping for the arms. Ugh. Napaonline shows the arm at $144.

Luckily found another local shop that can get 'em; $113/ea. woot.

Well, the service grade LCA would be a dealer item, so the prograde is offered to help sell the larger size aftermarket ball joints, and they come with the prograde bushings.

Glad you found a local place to buy them. :thumbsup:

Well, the service grade LCA would be a dealer item, so the prograde is offered to help sell the larger size aftermarket ball joints, and they come with the prograde bushings.

Glad you found a local place to buy them. :thumbsup:

I believe the LCA's I bought some time back were standard service grade, and one was purchased at Carquest. Not sure of the manufacturer; I just know that a lot of the bushing kits they sell are Moog.

I"m looking to order new Upper Ball Joints, Lower Ball Joints, front axle shaft seals and front pinion seal, you mentioned there's a EF member discount, how do I get that?? I'm an Elite Member.

Go to the Vendors forum, open up Rockauto's thread and the code will be there for you to copy/paste when you order in the check out. That is if your ordering from them. :dunno:

Thanks man !!!

Thanks for the info on this thread, but I've run into an odd problem.

I am going to order the upper and lower control arms from rockauto, but it is showing that the lowers are not the correct application for 2001 Sports, only 2002-2003.

All other parts of the application are showing correct. Think this is just an error?

Do you need the whole Lower Control Arm or just the ball joint?

Thanks for the info on this thread, but I've run into an odd problem.

I am going to order the upper and lower control arms from rockauto, but it is showing that the lowers are not the correct application for 2001 Sports, only 2002-2003.

All other parts of the application are showing correct. Think this is just an error?

oddly, even the raybestoschassis.com catalog doesn't list any LCA's for the 2001 Sport.

I would think they are the same, though :dunno:

Why is the pass uca a 2 piece deal and the driver side is only a 1 piece deal?

Why is the pass uca a 2 piece deal and the driver side is only a 1 piece deal?

Better camber/caster alignment with the 2 pc. 1 pc works fine for stock height vehicles. 2 pc works better for folks that have changed the stock height. The fine tuning of an alignment is done on the pass side 2 pc. With a 1 pc, it is just set as close as it can get.

There are pro's & con's of a 1 pc design. Such as getting new bushings and a replaceable ball joint, but lacks the ability to dial it in for alignment.

Why isn't the drivers side a 2 piece design aswell then so that both sides can be ajusted? My tires lean in a small bit on the top ever since I did the TT and would love to correct that..

Why isn't the drivers side a 2 piece design aswell then so that both sides can be ajusted? My tires lean in a small bit on the top ever since I did the TT and would love to correct that..

that would be camber, which is adjusted by the camber adjustment bolts.
The 2-piece design is for caster adjustment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are aftermarket camber adjustment bolt kits with eccentric washers that have a varying set of degrees. I use 4* camber bolts made by Moog to get mine dialed in. There kinda pricey for what they are, but if ya need em, ya need em. ;)

Back