I'm losing coolant, and I don't know where the leak is. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm losing coolant, and I don't know where the leak is.

sphoto

Reaction score
City, State
SHINGLEHOUSE, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 AEROSTAR 4.0 AWD 6CY
I have a 1995 4wd 4.0 6 cyl. Aerostar. Over the past several months my coolant level has been going down on a regular basis. I can't see any obvious leaks and there are no puddles on the ground. I did run a bottle of 'Stopleak" through the radiator just for the heck of it but no change in loss of coolant. Any thoughts? Could this be a head gasket and if so, is there an easy fix to this without spending thousands of dollars?

So far this summer we have replaced Power Steering pump, rack and pinion, Air Conditioning compressor, front brakes, and I have a broken front spring that I need to replace.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds alot like my problem on my Explorer. Antifreeze level in bottle dropping but no leaks, puddles, etc. Alot of people have said either head gasket or lower intake. Maybe someone has a fix though.

Get someone to look at the engine freeze plugs. Mine were leaking coolant very slowly and the cooling system would not pressure check correctly either.

Check the heater control valve, black plastic part with 4 hoses coming out of it and a suction tube connected to a valve. It should be near the right side, pass. side. firewall . it will leak and drip down onto the manifold/headers and evaporate never hitting the ground. Usually a slow leak coming out of where the valve connects with a metal lever.

Back