Impressed with 3rd row in 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Impressed with 3rd row in 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer

Tim K

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
(former owner) '97 XLT
I was at the Philly auto show today and couldn't wait to check out the 2002 Explorer. I really really like it. Quite impressive...especially the back seat...the 3rd row that is.

I am 6'7" and thought there was no way I could get in there. I was wrong! Not only could I get in there, but my head wasn't even touching the ceiling! OK, so my knees were pressed up against the 2nd row, but not badly. Getting out wasn't fun, but its not like those seats would be used all that often by a large person.

In all, I was really impressed with the 3rd row. Not only can it easily accomodate an average sized adult, but an over-sized guy like myself could fit in a pinch. I wish I could get myself one of these bad boys...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too bad the third row seat option takes away about 4" of leg room from the second row. I was at the Houston auto show last week and the difference in second row legroom was night and day between Mounties with and without third rows. They didn't have any 2002 Exploders to sit in (Ford Goobers), but there were 3 Mounties to test out the cushions with.

Is the third row gonna be an option? If it takes away so much second row seating I dont' think it would be that appealing.

Steve

standard on Mountaineer, optional on explorer. and the Ford rep at LA autoshow said 3rd row seat does not affect 2nd row leg room or seat back angle.

Back