In the market for a larger SUV | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In the market for a larger SUV

you should get it. IMO those are the baddest-ass'd 4 door large SUV ever. and they're rare, you don't see 'em every day thats for sure. (i've only seen 2 in person, ever. and one was at a car show)

you can get them in half ton to one ton, and with you're choice of engines, including diesel, 2wd or 4x4, stick or auto.. etc.. imagine every option every full size ford truck had, that's how they came.. on any chassis you like.

i'd love to have a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel centurion... but out of my price range

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think this is about getting a "bad ass" vehicle with a loud interior - its a family car, something with IFS, and modern electronics.

If this is a family car, make sure you get something with leather. It makes it way easier to clean up kids messes;)

I dont think this is about getting a "bad ass" vehicle with a loud interior - its a family car, something with IFS, and modern electronics.

Since when have '80s and early '90s ford trucks had "loud" interiors? I've always thought they were quite modest. especially by todays standards.
or do you mean loud as in decibels? in which case (my experience) has been that they're reasonably quiet, assuming the door and window molding is in good condition of course.

as for ride quality, if he gets a half ton (or 3/4 ton model) it'll have TTB which is IFS anyhow. the price is far lower than a comparable newer vehicle, it'll retain its value (in fact it will appreciate) it would be inexpensive and easy to service. i don't see how it would not be practical?

just because it's a family vehicle and it has to be practical, doesn't mean it has to be expensive and boring (new car)

and why would you want modern electronics in your car? are you referring to DVD players to babysit the kids? i for one will never allow my kids to have TV's in the car (i know you say i'll change my mind.. but kids need to learn not to be drones of the tv all their lives) flat-panel screens in the dash of cars are simply over-engineering in my opinion anyway.. seriously, who needs a touch-screen radio, cd player etc?... yes the centurion suggestion was my opinion.. that's what i would get in his situation. he's free to entertain the idea or not.

I just put the ol' TDI on craigslist. It looks like not many people are selling these things. The closest one on CL and Autotrader is 150 miles away. :eek: I guess thats a good thing though.

On a related note. The local Cheby dealership who was nice enough to bring the vehicles to our house to check out decided to close shop yesterday. They just told their employees that day that they were done. So that sucks. But the dealership in the next town over sells Ford, Chevy, and Dodge on one lot. So at least that part will be convenient.

We're even more motivated now after our road trip to San Luis Obispo in the TDI. It was a little cramped. :p:

Found it!!!:D

Hennessey's new 575hp 2012 VelociRaptor APV, and you can get it armored;)

vr575-apv_610x406.jpg

Pics aren't showing up. I'll have to copy and paste when I get home.

We still haven't found anything yet. There was a sick Yukon on 22s by one of our offices. But someone didn't like it.

Still have to make it to the dealership to check out all these new ifs irs vehicles out now. For now we're just pimpin the pickup on road trips. Yay for 15mpgs and puke on my seat belts.

Pics aren't showing up. I'll have to copy and paste when I get home.

We still haven't found anything yet. There was a sick Yukon on 22s by one of our offices. But someone didn't like it.

Still have to make it to the dealership to check out all these new ifs irs vehicles out now. For now we're just pimpin the pickup on road trips. Yay for 15mpgs and puke on my seat belts.

That was quite the hang up. See it now Steve and I'll take one!

I just went through all this process myself. The wife and I were looking for 3rd row seating but not regular occurance, more for cargo (2 adults, 2 kids, 99.9% of the time) The Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD that I had has no room compared to anything else. Even my 2nd gen explorer has way more 2nd row legroom and rear cargo than the Jeep. Jeep is getting sold tonight.

I ordered about 2 weeks ago a 2011 Flex limited AWD with Ecoboost (355hp) for the family ride.

Obviously you are looking for something bigger. 3rd row WITH cargo space. Flex does not provide that.

Good luck with the search.

PERFECT!!!

......if you produce rap. But otherwise it's a whole lot of bling for some regular guy without the gold teeth.

Found it!!!:D

Hennessey's new 575hp 2012 VelociRaptor APV, and you can get it armored;)

vr575-apv_610x406.jpg

I'm old school. We mod our cars. Not happy with what came stock? You change it with a wrench; not a check book. My family bought whatever used car we could afford, then modded it to suit our needs. I swear once my dad turned an El Camino into a bass boat, and my uncle put two sidecars onto his Vespa scooter. My first build was a big wheel into roller blades.

Okay. The psychedelics are wearing off. I'm floating back down from Ork. Fonzie's thumb was mightier.

But I'm still adding third row seats to my 2nd GEN. I'm thinking an add-a-leaf & Hellwig LP-15 Load Leveler should handle the extra weight of passengers in the back.

Little Passenger Seats sells custom auxiliary SUV 3rd row seat for sport utility vehicles including a 3rd seat for the Ford Explorer, Chevy Tahoe, Isuzu Trooper, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner, GMC Yukon, Honda CRV, Ford Excursion, Suburban/Yukon XL, Hummer H3, Dodge Durango, Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Xterra, FJ Cruiser, Honda Element, Mercedes ML Class, Jeep Wrangler, Toyota Rav4 and others. Each SUV 3rd row seat complies with the Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Vehicles Safety Standards. Each third row seat for SUV models is designed to match the interiors of most SUVs on the market

Back