In the market for a new family CAR | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In the market for a new family CAR

leebo

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mingo Junction, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
And I have no idea just what ones I'm in love with. :(

I would like to stay in the $15-$24k MSRP range, and they MUST have 4 doors. I am over 6' and have two kids. I can't justify the extra cost/ the lose of MPG that a van or SUV brings...plus on the road driving cars just seems more "fun" to me. :D I've looked at the 2011 VW Jetta and the 2010 VW SportWagen. The Jetta seemed to have enough rear leg-room even with the front seat back enough for me...while the wagon seemed to be lacking for some reason? I'm leery of VW products however just from the info I've read online about their product, but I also find it hard to believe at times.

I next went and looked at the 2011 Ford Fusion. While this car also had the room inside...I just found the interior "lacking" some. The materials just weren't as "polished" as the VW was....however I was only in the car maybe 2 minutes for each one.

If YOU were to buy a new car for your family out there right now, what one's would you be looking into? Options really aren't a major point for me, as with my price range I'm guessing I'll opt for the entry level no bones model and like it. :D I will give bonus points to anybody who can find me a car with rear seat DVD players.

And now to my soapbox....
For the life of me I don't understand buying a new car these days.
1. The market swing has went back from Trucks and SUV's to cars. In most Vans and SUV's these days a DVD player is almost standard for the rear seats...but dang if I can find one for a car. I don't need all that extra room, but I still wana be able to put on Barbie and SHUT-UP my kids while I'm on a road trip. How hard would it be for the companies to just put a screen in the head-rest and charge me an huge mark-up.

2. Why in the world do the companies "group" every option out there with a set model? If you want the base car, but would like to add a GPS...you can't. You've gotta sign up for the model that's 9k more...and is fully loaded with options you'll never use! Just let me add options to the car that I want on any level....and over charge me as you wish!

Off soapbox...now let's hear your ideas please. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll look into those....I would however like a '10 or newer, I have had good luck buying new....and keeping them fir 7-10 years. :). So I'm easy on cars....not like the x I beat the snot out of.

Yeah, I've never bought a new car before and doubt I ever will. I like the 2-3 year old used/lease returns. Plus, an '08 or newer should still be under warranty as well.

Honestly, check out the new Scion XB. My 6'5" 285lbs. uncle has one and absolutely loves it!

I'll keep thinking of other cars to check out.

'06 Charger R/T Black, Leather, DVD 39k miles 25 MPG (and 350hp :D)
$21k

6754974-3-3-883c624a.jpg

Check $15-$24k MSRP range
Check MUST have 4 doors.
Check I am over 6' and have two kids.
Check I can't justify the extra cost/ the lose of MPG that a van or SUV brings
Double Check cars just seems more "fun" to me.
Check For the life of me I don't understand buying a new car these days.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?AVi=5&id=6754974&N=4294967264+667&D=50&zip=91042&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage%20Type&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=203+14+240+190+398+15+9&Q=b38afcf0-784f-4590-be67-939365e449fb

Where do I collect my prize:D

Honestly, for New look into a Nissan Altima

I have to say- I drove a Mazda6 wagon last night- that's a really nice ride...

mazda6nite-1.jpg

My Mom has a new 2010 Fusion, and the review compared to her old '07 Camry that I'm driving around lately is:

Pro Fusion:
-Styling
-Transmission
-Engine (V6)
-Fit & Finish
-Seat lateral support
-Padded door panel where your knee sits when driving long distances (small stuff matters!)

Pro Camry:
-Ride (XLE, so the spring rate is softer)
-Dashboard layout (both auto everything, the Camry buttons are fewer and MUCH easier to reach)
-Seat comfort
-More room inside

For a hauler, I also test drove an Edge, and I wouldn't mind one of those, just didn't want to buy one new.

I'll have to look into that. A 220hp wagon starting at 22k.....hmmm.

I also like the looks of the sedan. I totally missed Mazda.

Back