Inaccurate odometer?

explorer4x493

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited 4x4 V8
-I found this post originally by X24...

"Ummmmmm... you know the cobras wont fit on your truck right? No one gets low profile tires on the cobras becaust they are only 17" wheels. It would look funny with low profile tires and your speedo will be way off. You will also put miles on much faster. If you want low profile tires get some 20's or somthing. "

Made me think....does enlarging or reducing to a different tire size other than stock "fake out" your odometer???
i.e.- smaller tires= more rotations, which would only make sense if the odometer thought the vehicle was going through miles at a quicker pace, compared to stock size.

I didn't read any further in the original post so forgive me if the conclusion was already determined...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes.. basically going with bigger tires will put less mileson the odometer and vice versa.

Changing overall tire diameter changes the number of rotations the tires make, which changes the speedo and odo readings. If your overall diameter stays the same but you change the profile of the tires you will be fine.

This can be corrected by recalibrating the speedo with a new speedo gear.

I had 235/75/R15 but went up to 30x9.50s. How much will my odometer be off? It won't be much will it?

Around 3%. It may actually read perfectly now :)

Alright so by having 265/70/15's compared to stock, i'm putting "less" miles on my car...

Sweeeet....

Back