Indiglow gauges and speedometer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Indiglow gauges and speedometer

I bought the indiglow gagues and installed them and they look great. The only problem is that my speedometer is sticking. The reason for this is that the indiglow gauges lay right on top of the other ones and if its not perfectly flat on the instrument panel it will rub against the speedometer needle.

If anybody has had this problem and has corrected it or can relate to it I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Chad

I had that problem with mine, but I decided that I would be the last owner of my truck, so I removed all of the stock gauges, peeled off their overlays, and painted over them with a paint that would match my Silver reverse indiglo gauges... Then I glued the indiglo gauges on and flattened them with a few phone books on top :) I would not suggest that with your truck though, since it could still be sold... I'd say, get some thin double-sided tape (the clear stuff that is used for paper, not the thick stuff for hanging things on walls or attaching blackouts :) ), and use that to hold the indiglo gauges to the stock faces.

My speedometer stuck real bad too. Even though it says you dont have to, chances are youll have to pull the needle. I used a divot repair tool from my golf bag, but I've seen that a fork works better. Just slide it behind the needle and pull up. Just make sure the needle is at the rest when you put it back on and theres no problem.

Also make sure that the clear plastic surrounding where the needle attaches isnt rubbing the driver (metal rod the needle goes onto). My speedo still isnt perfectly smoothe and I think that may be the problem. Just too lazy to take it apart again.

Double sided tape is good too

Thanks for you advice. I tried the 2 sided tape first and that didnot work well since it was actully the orginal lay over gauges that had the problem(the stock ones). So I peeled them back a little and put super glue in there and it worked like a charm.

Chad

Back