Inexpensive lift...help.

Eddie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Abbotsford
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 'Eddie' 1993
Hi
We just bought a 1993 xlt and a 1991 Eddie. For family fishing, hunting and camping as well as winter daily driven. We wanted to combined the 2, replace worn part with quality. We want to keep "Eddie" going for another 20 years.

The basics, drums, discs, bearings, ball joints, pumps, sender, filters etc. Any suggestions on brand names, not cheap but not over the top. $$$

As well, we are looking for a 3-4 inches lift....again we don't want to spend a bunch.
Skylift says they have it "all" for a grand. I think Rough Truck or Country, has it for $1300. I have heard some horror stories...hwy shimmy, blown u-joint, trannies, etc.
Someone told us that F150 leafs and coils can be interchanged with Explorers, I assume same year.
Then again Carrier Spring in BC has 3" leafs for $170. 2" shackles for $70.

Can...would anyone mind giving us the whole run down of what we need to get a good lift...That is to avoid all the pit falls they may of had.
Thanks Eddie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im pretty sure Roughcountry has a kit around 5 with shocks, its like 4". You could easly get a good bump with a set of $150 1.5 inch lift coils and a set of 3 inch schackles the make your own ones at murrays. (I just threw the extra bolts throughthe open holes and welded them).. Neither should "force" you to buy new shocks, but its recomended. I recomend the smaller lift coil and shackles because you wont have to fight with brake lines and drivetrain angles... but, if you read my description, im much better at lowering things. And for the sceptics, those lift shackles arent half bad, ive got them front and back on my wrangler, and Brad.R has had them for a year through hell and back.

Thanks Alen, that was exactly what we were looking for. Up here they have 2.5 inch schackles for $75/pair. We didn't know what that would do...if we needed extra parts Brake lines steering stabilizers, or what. Shocks cost far less then a 4" do it yourself lift. Some quotes from good shops went as far as $2500.
Is there anything we should look for when buying coil springs?
Again Thank you
Eddie

I would concider Ebay. Rough country and Skyjacker both have 1.5 in coils for reasonable price (like 150) and for the back, a universal shackle kit from an Oreiliey's, auto zone, or pep boys is like $15. You being in Canada may make things a little different to get. If youre at factory height with factory tires, I think you'll be very happy with the coils, shackles, and some 31's. with that small of a lift, you wont need brake lines, shocks or a stabilizer. I've done my research for the ranger (the same front suspension) Im thinking someone here will chirp in and fill you in on exactly everything that you'll need.

Hi again,
We recently noticed a couple of 91, 92, 93 Rangers with the leafspring on top of the axel. This would give them a 2-3 inch lift in the back. Is there any harm in doing this to an 91 explorer? I am also looking for a set of coil springs that would accomidate the same lift. Hwy and off road.
Any suggestion on a nice not, over priced, set of shocks?
Thanks
Eddie

Back