• Register Today It's free!

Innertube??

steve willsey

Reaction score
City, State
La Crescenta, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
I have a hole in the sidewall of my 35" BFGs, nobody wants to fix it and I was thinking of putting an inner tube in to seal the leak. A friend said that might not be a good idea as when I pressure down for deep snow or rock crawling any slippage will sheer off the valve stem. Has anyone ever heard of slippage between the wheel and tire? I would think that would be problem even without an inner tube as you would lose your bead lock and still be in for a tire change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a hole in the sidewall of my 35" BFGs, nobody wants to fix it and I was thinking of putting an inner tube in to seal the leak. A friend said that might not be a good idea as when I pressure down for deep snow or rock crawling any slippage will sheer off the valve stem. Has anyone ever heard of slippage between the wheel and tire? I would think that would be problem even without an inner tube as you would lose your bead lock and still be in for a tire change.

I don't know much about running tubes in trucks, but it's certainly an issue. Motorcycles run a "rim lock" to help prevent it. Bicycles dont... and I've lost a tube cause of it lol my mountain bike is now tubeless for reason. I wouldn't wanna put those effing things in my truck.
Do some research though, truck tubes are common in poorer countries

I have nbever heard about putting innertubes in truck tires but here in Colorado I have aired down everytime gong out in the rocks and have not had my tires slide on the rim yet. (knock on wood)

Back in the day where men were Men, women were Women, and Yes Sir,Yes Ma'am were common and expected. All trucks ran inner tubes! The reason tubes could be patched reliably, especially in the event of a sidewall puncture. All truck tires ran split rims as well. The precursor to the bead lock. The down side split rims are dangerous.

Look for a tire retreader in your area.
They can do sidewall section repairs on tires. It is done on semi tires all the time.
A good repair man it the retread shop, will be trained specifically to know the limitations of your tire and the injury it has.
That person will be happy to have your money and do the repair, if it is possible to do so safely.

If you could post a picture of the injury, and the size/length, I may be able to tell you.
I spent 15 years as a retreader, was shop manager for a while, even then the repair corner was MINE!
After 15 years of that, moved into setting up and running a off the road tire shop.
Crawled inside the tires to work on them.

But a tube is not going to do anything for you. Will still need to patch the inside of the tire, to keep the tube from coming out of the injury and pinching a hole in the tube.
So you may as well buy the right patch, have it installed by a professional.

I have a spare tire with a tube. I had a brand new 37" MTR that got a nasty gash in the middle of the tread, about 2" long. I did not want to junk the tire, so I searched around for someone to fix it. Nobody in a chain tire store would touch it, for liability reasons. I finally found a guy probably like fun fool, a real old school tire guy who owned his own shop. After assuring him it would only be a spare, and I would pay in cash and not want a receipt, he agreed to do a major patch job that involved grinding away some on the inside of the tire, then glueing on a patch. Then I had a tube pit in, for extra insurance.
It holds air for years now, but has never seen use, as I've never had a flat in that time.

Also, I had a car one time that got a hole in the sidewall, more like a cut. I couldn't afford a new tire right away, and again nobody would even look at a sidewall repair, so I took out my SafetySeal tire plug kit and started throwing plugs into the gap. After 3 or 4, it held air, and I drove it for months like that.
Smart? No. But I did it and lived. I ran it on the rear, thinking that's the better end of the car to have a blowout on at speed.

If you get this tire patched, either have it as your spare, or run it on the rear wheels only.

Back