• Register Today It's free!

Install in a 98

expobronc

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 V8
okay I've done tons of installs before, on tons of different cars, but im still a novice. I know enough to buy a kit and connect it to the deck then just plug it in...

I bought a scosche kit for my 98... wired it up then went to the truck.... WELL! heres what i found. the back of the factory head unit has one plug that matched the kit I just pulled of the stereo from my install in my 92 expo. the other plug was CLOSE to the one that I just bought in my kit. I have the high series console with the remote controls in the rear, but that's not of the "preimum sound" is it?? VERY frustrated because my factory deck SUCKS!!!! can someone help me out??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the same thing. get a new HU you will be glad you did.

With rear seat controls your stock 98 head unit you will have at least two connectors. One 16 pin (scosche FD16 adapter) that houses the 8 speaker wires and the power and grounds. And another 20 pin connector to comes from your rear seat controls. On a new head unit you only need to use the scosche FD16 ( in your case) adapter. You leave the 20 pin connector loose in the dash and of course now you have no rear seat controls. Most don't care about that. The rear seat fans still work though, just the radio controls are non-functioning.

i think the one was only a 6 pin connection and just had power, no speaker connections???

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing here is the wiring harness adapter I got from walmart that connects up to the aftermarket HU>FD16 . If you bought something with 6 pins in it, which is for pre-98, then you got the wrong thing. On the other hand if you are saying the stock wiring harness attached to your truck only has 6 pins then this is a mystery to me. You have to have speaker wires from somewhere. Maybe you have a 98 with an external amp, but I thought this wasn't possible.

Is there any way to wire the rear controls so they will work?

Looks like PAC makes something that will work but only if your aftermarket HU accepts infrared input (i.e. works with remote control. I think its pretty expensive though. It would seem that someody could figure it out and do a more homemade version. By accident I grounded one of the 20 pins on the stock head unit while a CD was playing and and I advanced to the next track. With testing you could help us slackers out.

Back