• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Cluster Question

03roushs1

Reaction score
City, State
Saratoga Springs, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I need to replace my instrument cluster on my 04 XLT. I am wondering is the mileage stored in the ECU or in the cluster itself. So if I buy a used one off a wrecker, will it show the mileage off the original car or mine? Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the 2003 repair manual on instrument cluster replacement:

CAUTION: Prior to removal of the module, it is necessary to upload module configuration information to the diagnostic tool. This information needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed.

It doesn't say what info needs to be transfered but I would guess it's mileage info.

I remember a thread on here awhile ago where someone did replace their IC. I don't remember him saying anything about transfering info to the new one either. You might search for that thread and try asking the original poster about it. Why do you need to replace your IC?

I did some more reading this morning about instrument clusters and learned a couple of things. :)

The odometer is stored on the PCM not the IC.

The Programmable Parameters Index for the IC are:
  • Outside air temperature
  • Display Language
  • Oil life (Distance/Time)
  • Beltminder
  • Oil life status and warning
  • Back-up aid warning
  • ABS and tire pressure monitor warning
  • Autolocks

Let me see if a understand what that means. So, I can change out the IC and not have my mileage reading affected.

Yep.

You might have to take it to the dealer for programming if some of the other display stuff comes up wrong. I think the warning that's in the repair manual is just so they don't have to reprogram it manually. It's quicker to download the info from the old IC and upload it to the new one than it is to reprogram manually.

Back