Instrument gauge cluster blue LED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument gauge cluster blue LED

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer
howdy all. First time poster and first time owner of a 99 explorer.

Last night my friend and I swapped out the lights in the dash to blue LEDs. Come to find out, there must be a green filter as the blue hardly shines through. I've looked online and I've read you can scratch the green off but I'd rather replace the whole decal with actual white numbers if there's such a thing. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for such a thing? All I can find are the day glo indicators. I just want replacement decals, black background and white decals.

Thanks for your help!

Oh. Would like to do the window control locks ect on the doors. Are those actual LEDs or smaller bulbs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out the link in my signature. Exact same process works on the 2nd gens, just a slightly different disassembly/reassembly process. Wet sanding the green film off is easy and quick and looks great. There's a bunch of pics in that write up so you can see how bright mine are. I used ultra blue color LED's from amazon.

The window controls, headligt switch, 4x4 switch etc. all use bulbs that have been discontinued. You can find pre-wired, 12v LED's on amazon cheap, and you can custom run those in there to take the place of the stock bulbs.

Check out the link in my signature. Exact same process works on the 2nd gens, just a slightly different disassembly/reassembly process. Wet sanding the green film off is easy and quick and looks great. There's a bunch of pics in that write up so you can see how bright mine are. I used ultra blue color LED's from amazon.

The window controls, headligt switch, 4x4 switch etc. all use bulbs that have been discontinued. You can find pre-wired, 12v LED's on amazon cheap, and you can custom run those in there to take the place of the stock bulbs.

Hey. Thanks and much appreciated on your reply. I'll give the sanding a try. I might have to get a whole new unit. There are two lights that don't light up, one on the gas gauge and one for the mph. Not sure if I need to wiggle then or clean the contacts. But I'll give it a go. Your pics look great too!

Also read on line for the temp control that there's a removable film. Would using white LEDs be best for that so the hot/cold swirl stays true to color?

I order my LEDs off the wish app. Can't beat 10-15 for a buck lol

Thanks again!!

I haven't messed with temp controls in my 2nd gen yet. I can say on my 1st gen that you can't sand it off. Those LED's that arent working, take them out of the cluster, then take the bulb out of the socket, turn it 180 deg and reinstall. Should work. LED's have a positive and negative and will only work one way.

i did a led in the switches to match my dash lights. thread is in my sig

also if you pull the needle of the spedo, and dont want to do it the dangerous (running down the road with a gps trying to put the needle back on) here is a vid on how the recalibrate it

Quick off subject question......Been on the trails A LOT, and not on here quite as much lately and have not had a chance to play with the UI. I have not noticed on my computer, but on my phone I'm not seeing any signatures? I'd like to check out your write up on the switch LED's but there's no link?

Back