Interior - Seat swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior - Seat swap?

Anyone know if the rear seat out of a '97 Explorer Sport will bolt into the rear of a '94 Explorer Sport? I don't want any modifications done if it can be avoided. Thanks.

Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe.....

I'm putting 99 seats in my 94, I'm using the 94 mounting hardware though. I have unbolted the mounting brackets from the seats on the 99 stuff and will bolt them to the 94 brackets. I may have to re-drill some bracket holes for the seats to bolt to, but doubt it.

The brackets will still mount to the factory holes since they are from the 94.

HTH Rob

The mounts should all be the same. The newer model seats will directly bolt into the 92-94 explorer. 91's are the only ones that have a diff. mount design. Kris G. just installed 2000 seats in my old 92 and they are direct bolt ins.

Great, thanks for the help.

I think that only the early 91 Explorers have different seat mounts because I have a 91 and have bolted newer seats into if with out any problems. Mine is a 06/91 production date with the newer style TRW seat belt and not the goofy early plastic ones. That is probably were the difference is.

the tracks on our 91 I know are different, but you could be right about that speedfreak as our 91 was made 06/90

Just out of curiosity: Are the new seats better seats than the old ones, or were the old ones just getting worn out?

I chose an upgrade to leather out of a '98 Explorer. My old seats are actually in perfect condition. I'm probably going to post them on Ebay and try to get rid of them.

If you don't mind my asking, why the upgrade if your current seats are fine? Are the newer ones superior seats?

Well the truck is going through a major make-over and the leather seats in my opnion make it just a wee bit nicer, just my opinion though.

I wanted power seats that is why I upgraded.

I had the plain jane seats in mine and wanted more support. I swapped in the 94 full load seats but didn't like them either so now I have 84 SVO seats in and thier perfect. They bolted right to the seat tracks. The only problem is that the front seats are charcoal and the rest of the interior is tan. oh well at least I'm comfortable.

Back