Intial startup squealing

jayhawkexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mission, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
For the past couple weeks, I've had this squealing noise (sounds just like a belt) whenever I start my truck. Its gotten really loud a couple times right when I first accelerate, and makes intermittent noise when driving. I just hit 104,000 miles and bought the vehicle 2 years ago at 75,000. I'm putting in a new Gates-brand tensioner, idler, and serpentine belt this evening. I figure its the tensioner or belt causing the noise. All 3 should probably be replaced at this mileage anyway, since the belt is at least 30,000 old and the pulleys are probably still original.

Am I right with this logic? Any tips on replacing the tensioner (there's nothing about it in the Haynes or Chilton manuals)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem....

The sound you describe usually originates from one of the following:

(1) serpentine belt
(2) idler pulley
(3) serpentine belt tensioner

Good luck in resolving your problem.

Thanks, I thought it might be the waterpump, but come to think of it the idler pully does originate around where the waterpump is, heheheh

If it turns out to be the idler pulley or belt tensioner, I would recommend replacing the belt also.

Good luck .....

Mine does this from time to time. It's the belt slipping. I just tightened the hell out of my tensioner and it stopped.

replacing the tensioner is very easy.. it's in front of the belt towards the left (mine is anyway).. all it takes is a long socket wrench and i'm not sure which size socket.. it's a little tough to get down there and unscrew it but not too bad with a long enough socket wrench... it's only one bolt if i recall.. pop it out, put in the new one (but dont tighten it down until you get your new belt positioned correctly (which is on a sticker under your hood on the panel)... and then tighten the tensioner.. simple as that..

anyone know where to buy a cheap tensioner, kragen is selling one for $80!

dmf415 said:
anyone know where to buy a cheap tensioner, kragen is selling one for $80!

I prefer using Ford parts for these components.

I recently replaced mine and the price was as follows:

Tensioner $67.36
Idler pulley $32.99
Belt $30.73

These prices are retail at the local Ford dealer

hey, on mine there are two idler pulleys.
one of them is a smaller one that is grooved, the other one is a larger one, which is the one making the noise, its ungrooved, but has these guards on the side to keep the belt in place... i checked kragen and they don't have it, anyone familiar with the top idler pulley?

Two weeks after replacing the tensioner, idler, and belt with brand new Gates ones, the squealing is still there and is identical to before. This makes me believe that it was none of those three in the first place. Its a high-pitched noise and it happens the most during warm-up, both at idle and while running. It mostly goes away after about 20 mins of driving. I cannot do anything to make the noise appear on cue. I had it at Ford for 3 days for an unrelated problem (steering coupler) and each morning it managed to not make the sound for them. Guess that homing beacon all vehicles have in them told it to be quiet since it was at Ford.

Did you change the top idler pulley? I listened to where the sound was, then took off my belt and started spinning what i could by hand. You can't buy the top idler pulley anywhere except the dealer.

whoops, you have a 4.0, I have a 5.0L V8

Yeah, I was gonna say...I've never seen a top idler pulley :)

jayhawkexplorer said:
Two weeks after replacing the tensioner, idler, and belt with brand new Gates ones, the squealing is still there and is identical to before. This makes me believe that it was none of those three in the first place. Its a high-pitched noise and it happens the most during warm-up, both at idle and while running. It mostly goes away after about 20 mins of driving. I cannot do anything to make the noise appear on cue.
Let's approach this by organizing the information you have. New belt, new idler, new tensioner. OK, so let's look at the things that are left and since you mentioned it goeas away after 20 minutes, I would begin to think it something that warms up. Power steering, A/C, alternator, fan.

1) Since you did not mention that something happens when you turn the wheel, lets leave out power steering.

2) When you start up, there is considerable draw to recharge the battery for the first few minutes of running. Check the alternator pulley first for drag, roughness.

3) The fan clutch pretty much locks up when starting the engine cold. Also, the waterpump has slightly more backpressure against it until the thermostat opens. These two things will increase the amount of drag placed on the belt. So check to see if the fan pulley turns freely.

Lloyd10977 said:
Let's approach this by organizing the information you have. New belt, new idler, new tensioner. OK, so let's look at the things that are left and since you mentioned it goeas away after 20 minutes, I would begin to think it something that warms up. Power steering, A/C, alternator, fan.

1) Since you did not mention that something happens when you turn the wheel, lets leave out power steering.

2) When you start up, there is considerable draw to recharge the battery for the first few minutes of running. Check the alternator pulley first for drag, roughness.

3) The fan clutch pretty much locks up when starting the engine cold. Also, the waterpump has slightly more backpressure against it until the thermostat opens. These two things will increase the amount of drag placed on the belt. So check to see if the fan pulley turns freely.

Thanks Lloyd. Those suggestions sound right on to me, I'm going to take a look at #2 and 3 tonight when I get home.

Well the noise is getting worse and its doing it even after the truck is warmed up. I think I may have to just take it to Ford. If I had to bet, I'd say its the power steering but hell I could be wrong. My used-card warranty runs out in 4,000 miles though, so I need to get it done soon.

When you find it, PM Dreamr, he has a similar noise. He's chased it to the oil pan, passenger side but that's as far as he's gotten.

If it is a high pitched chirping like a scratching sound, louder with increasing RPM. It may be the cam position sensor at the back of the engine. Where the old distributor used to be. That part is expensive to replace.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pax said:
If it is a high pitched chirping like a scratching sound, louder with increasing RPM. It may be the cam position sensor at the back of the engine. Where the old distributor used to be. That part is expensive to replace.

That seems to be a possibility. We're discussing it over in this thread too http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139434. The part's only $30 from O'Reilly, is it really hard to get to or what?

Back