Is it a SOHC or an OHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it a SOHC or an OHC

tinkering

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XL 4L ATM
1998 Explorer XL 4L

The 8th digit 'X' of the VIN suggests that it is an OHV but when I did a couple of those VIN Decodes online, it says it is a SOHC. :scratch: Is there an easy way to ID the difference rather than relying on the VIN, since the motor could have been changed out somewhere along the way? I need to know which one it is so I can get the correct Idle Air Control valve.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that is a fast answer; thanks.
I think I recognize that sort of triangular black plastic piece on top, and the plug wire boots and cap sticking up there so noticeably (39822701.jpg), rather than the more square plastic piece (45431535.jpg). I don't have the vehicle here right now but I would say it is an OHV push rod style. The 'X' in the 8th digit position of the VIN is telling the truth I think. I think those 2 decoder sites I used lied to me :D

OHV would be pushrod.

easiest way is if the intake has a plastic cover/cowling that says 4.0 SOHC

As you look at the engine; OHV oil filler cap on the left bank; SOHC oil filler cap on the right bank.

Unless you have one of those rare engines that has the 710 cap, it doesn't matter, it works the same.

Is is a SOHC or an OHV?

easiest way is if the intake has a plastic cover/cowling that says 4.0 SOHC

Thanks for that. I noticed that very thing in the pics and the manual pdf pages 158 and 159 that swshawaii posted. I now know I have an OHV 4L.

:thumbsup:

Is it a SOHC or an OHV?

As you look at the engine; OHV oil filler cap on the left bank; SOHC oil filler cap on the right bank.

Unless you have one of those rare engines that has the 710 cap, it doesn't matter, it works the same.

Oil filler cap on passenger side = OHV
Oil filler cap on driver side = SOHC

Thanks a bunch for that!:salute:

Is it a SOHC or an OHV?

OHV would be pushrod.

So it is in fact an OHV that uses push rods. Does anybody have an exploded view of the 4L OHV showing the push rods?

I take it the SOHC has one cam, not two? Just out of curiosity, does anybody have an exploded view of the 4L SOHC?

No mate, Single OverHead Cam has one cam on top of each bank.
SOHC means one cam opens the inlet valves and the exhaust valves.

Double OverHead Cam would have 2 cams per bank, one for the inlets and one for the exhausts. A V engine would then have 4 cams in all.

You have an OverHead Valve engine, with pushrods and one cam. OHV.

I think I have screwed up here; The two engines are SOHC and OHV not OHC. This will mean I better do some editing, including the Title of the whole thread! Sorry:eek:

I think I have screwed up here; The two engines are SOHC and OHV not OHC. This will mean I better do some editing, including the Title of the whole thread! Sorry:eek:

I don't think it really matters now. The question has been asked and answered.

Is it a SOHC or an OHV?

I don't think it really matters now. The question has been asked and answered.

Thanks for that. I edited a bunch of the convoluted stuff I had in there, so now it flows along pretty good.

It was interesting for me to discover through all of this that there are a few over head cam engine designs (don't know the manufacturers) that used wee push rods above the cylinder heads.

Thank you all for your patience!:salute:

Thanks for that. I edited a bunch of the convoluted stuff I had in there, so now it flows along pretty good.

It was interesting for me to discover through all of this that there are a few over head cam engine designs (don't know the manufacturers) that used wee push rods above the cylinder heads.

Thank you all for your patience!:salute:

No problem.

If you want to see some interesting designs have a look at the desmodromic system.
There's also been hydraulic valve actuation and electric solenoids and circular valves.

Not to mention the rotary. I said don't mention it.

if the 8th digit of the VIN is an "X" it's a OHV
if the 8th digit of the VIN is an "E" it's a SOHC

in looking at the top of the engine (assuming the plastic engine cover isn't missing) it will say 4.0L SOHC.

No problem.

If you want to see some interesting designs have a look at the desmodromic system.
There's also been hydraulic valve actuation and electric solenoids and circular valves.

I'll look at some of those interesting designs when I have a few minutes. Thanks

if the 8th digit of the VIN is an "X" it's a OHV
if the 8th digit of the VIN is an "E" it's a SOHC

in looking at the top of the engine (assuming the plastic engine cover isn't missing) it will say 4.0L SOHC.

Thanks for that.

No problem.

I looked at desmodromic valve system here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak2rsfbVo60
Very Interesting.

The circular valves are keen but I couldn't find an example of an automobile application.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back